Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Right Stuff

Back when I had the web pages, I had this idea for a page I wanted to call "The Old Trunk in the Attic".  I never fully developed that idea, apparently because it was ahead of its time.  This is my "Old Trunk in the Attic" web page.

I love STUFF.  STUFF that reminds me of people.  STUFF that someone I know used to have.  3 dimensional STUFF.  My house is full of it.  I can't get rid of the things my Grandpa's made, both of them were pretty good carpenters.  I have a bookcase, unique shelves, toy boxes from Grandpa Bell.  A doll crib, doll swing, doll high chair, rocking horse baby's coat rack and a quilt rack from the Grandpa Menke.  These are the things that "decorate" my 3 bedroom home.  These things I keep OUT of the attic.

I don't believe my house is worthy of an episode of Hoarders.  There is a place for everything and everything is in its place.  It just wouldn't make the cover of Martha Stewart Living.  That's just fine.  I live in a material world, I am a material girl.  Not diamonds or fine art, but STUFF that I consider priceless.  Like Ma Joad, it would bother me to leave anything behind if I had to move.

When my Grandma Bell showed me the marriage certificate of her parents, Art McGrath & Sadie Negley, I was in awe.  It's a beautiful 16 x 20 framed piece of art.  When she said I could have it "if I wanted it", duh, ya, I took it!  My first heirloom from "the old trunk in the attic".

This STUFF and a lot more give a 3 dimensional life to my family history research.  They make it more than just names and dates on a chart.  Even more than the photos of the people, this STUFF gives me an insight into the talents and interests of my family.
 
Just about anything can be a family heirloom, but keeping your grandmother's dishrag might be taking it a bit too far.  I think what I have is the RIGHT STUFF. 

How do you display what you found in "the old trunk in the attic"?

8 comments:

  1. I keep photos of my ancestors in my living room along with a couple of things that came out of my grandparents house. I like to share the stories surrounding everything with my kids. Welcome to Geneablogger! I really enjoyed your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Your kids will appreciate the stories you share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, that marriage certificate is lovely! I'd put it in a category much higher than "stuff"!

    Just found your blog today, thanks to a mention on GeneaBloggers. Best wishes as you continue to blog about your family's stories...and "stuff" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqi, I like that spelling! Thank you, glad you enjoyed this.

      Delete
  4. I have a few pieces from my grandmother in my entertainment center. Most of my "stuff" is photos and papers, so I've been working on scanning and uploading those to my blog and website. Enjoyed your post and welcome to Geneabloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Geneabloggers!! I've been a member for about nine months. This is a great title by the way. I see Jacqi has already made a comment. Laura, Jacqi is my favorite blogger. She does a blog everyday, and it such a great writer.

    Regards, Grant

    hjttp://thestephensherwoodletters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grant! I hope to post every few days. Check back again.

      Delete