Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Treasure Chest Thursday - Needle Crafts Appreciation

Needle crafts are a big part of my family history.  Most all of my foremothers did all kinds of sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting, embroidery and more.  My Mom made this pretty pioneer doll and gave her to me several years ago.  The dress and bonnet are made from a pillowcase with the cat embroidered onto it.  She gets pretty dusty, and I'm afraid of ruining the embroidery and bonnet if I wash them too often.  But when I do (hand wash, of course), she looks nice!



This doll is really not old enough yet to be classified a "family heirloom".  But it will become one.  My daughter doesn't have much of an interest in the various fabric art pieces I have around the house.  If she doesn't acquire an appreciation for them, this doll will go to one of my nieces who does!

2 comments:

  1. I have a pillowcase doll too with a painted rose on the skirt. My sister made it from a pillowcase that our mom stenciled back in the 1950s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so special! It's wonderful to have these cherished items handcrafted by family. Thank you Virginia

      Delete