Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Great Grandma Mann's birthday





My Great Grandma, Cora Mann, was born 133 years ago today (February 4, 1882) in Jefferson County, Nebraska.  She died July 4, 1971 at the age of 89.  

Her father was Charles Gaisford who had come from England as a young man.  Her mother was Henrietta Smith who had family ties back to colonial days in this country. 

Cora Mabel Gaisford married Clarence Mann in Fairbury, Nebraska, on July 5, 1899.  She had 14 children, her 13th child died at 3 months old.  She had 39 grandchildren, 67 great-grandchildren and 7 great-great grandchildren at her death.

I have only a vague memory of Great Grandma.  She was in a wheelchair after losing first one leg, then the other to diabetes in her last few years.  I was probably 8 years old the last time I saw her.  There was an article in the Lincoln Sunday Journal and Star in 1968, that quoted her as saying "I can call off the name and age of every grandchild, also the [birth] month - but I sometimes miss the exact date."



No comments:

Post a Comment