Sunday, November 12, 2017

Walter Boone's Will




"In the name of God Amen,I, Walter Boone of Nelson County, Ky, being in a State of debility, But perfect in mind and memory do constitute and ordain this my last will and testament in the following manner to wit: 1st my will in the first place, that all my debts be faithfully paid of such property as my beloved wife Elizabeth Boone sees proper to dispose of for the same. 
  2nd I will and bequeath to my wife Elizabeth Boone all my land on which I lived and do? proposed of, also my negro man Harry, my house hold and kitchen furniture, and all my stock of horses, cattle, sheep and hogs, and farming utensils to be hers during her life to dispose as she pleases. 
And 3: It is my will that after the death of my beloved wife wife Elizabeth Boone, that my land and all that I have Willed to her, to belong to my son Henry Boone and his heirs to dispose of as he pleases. 
4th It is my will that my son Henry Boone to stay on the place and manage for his mother, So long as they can agree, and if they cannot agree, She can then do any thing that may but suit her Conserning the same. 
5th I will and bequeath to my ten older children each of them one dollar, viz Charles Boone's heirs, John Boone, Christopher Boone, Joseph Boone, Mary Peake's heirs and Henry Carcers? the above named sum of one dollar to be their and their heirs. 
In testimony whereof, I have to set my hand and seale this 16th day of January, one thousand eight hundred & forty seven.  Walter ^his mark^ Boone  {seal}   
Witnesses    
Geo. Clark  
Joseph ^his mark^ Clayton  
Pius Hagan 

At a County Court begun and held for Nelson County At the Courthouse in Bardstown on the 12th day of April 1847This last will and testament of Walter Boone dec'd was Executed in Court proven by the Oath of Geo. Clark, a Subscribing witness thereto who also made oath that Joseph Clayton & Pius Hagan the other subscribing witnesses thereto Signed their names, to said will in his presence of and <----> Testator at his request, whereupon the said will is ordered to record.Attest Nath'l Wickliffe Olh"

Walter Boone was born in Prince George's County, Maryland before 1760. He and his wife, Mildred Edelin, were the parents of more than ten children, according to his Will. The only children named are: Charles, John, Christopher, Mary, Joseph and Henry. There may be an Inventory of his Estate to be found at Family Search, but I'm not finding the time to look for that. It will have to wait.



My Husband's Relationship to:

Walter Boone: Third Great Grandfather
    The lineage:
  1. My husband's Third Great Grandfather Walter Boone
  2. My husband's Great Great Grandfather Christopher Boone
  3. My husband's Great Grandfather Robert I Boone
  4. My husband's Grandmother Charlotte Boone
  5. My husband's Father
  6. My husband

9 comments:

  1. in the will where it says Henry Carcers it is his daughter Henrietta Boone Carrico she married James Carrico.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested in the Boone that came to Kentucky. Walter/Wattie Boone is listed as first distiller. Do you have any ties to distilling in the Christopher line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about being distillers, but my husband's line is Christopher, his son Robert, then Robert's daughter Lottie. She is my husband's grandmother. You can email me if you want to go into this further - jolahama at gmail. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. It mentions a blood line with Daniel Boone but I have not been able to find a connection between the Pennsylvania Boones and the Maryland Boones. Wattie Boones sister, Sarah Boone Medley, was my 4x great grandmother. The Medleys were also distillers as was my 3x great grandmother who was a Wathen. My mothers father was a Peake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure where "It" mentions a blood line with Daniel Boone. I've looked into that before and don't see how it's possible there's any connection. Sounds like you are a cousin to my husband's family! Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
    2. I am sorry. The "it" i mentioned is a 1894 newspaper article on Wattie Boone that states he and Daniel were near relatives. A podcast of the history of Kentucky Bourbon episode # 17 by Phil Kollin a bourbon historian states Wattie Boone and Daniel were first cousins. I know two Maryland cousins of Daniel also founded Boonsboro Maryland. These things can be found on the internet. A boone relative in Maryland says she can show the family connection on her ancestry account and invited me to view it but since I have no ancestry account I cannot log onto it.

      Delete
  4. By the way Wattie Boone and Walter Boone were one and the same person. Regarded as one of the first commercial distillers in Kentucky. Wattie Boone and Sons bourbon is still sold today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So interesting. My mother's paternal grandmother was Anna Mae Boone - great-great granddaughter to Walter Boone. I remember once as a kid we took a trip to Kentucky to visit our Boone side of the family. Now I'm kind of thinking about going back and doing the Bourbon Trail!

    ReplyDelete