Sunday, January 21, 2018

Rerouting... John Potter Smith's Path


When I wrote the post Henrietta Smith, Daughter of, -- of course -- John and Mary Smith I had every reason to believe the parents of John Potter Smith were Aza Smith and Mehitable POTTER. That was the name given as John's mother on his death certificate. 

But, I have never been able to find a marriage record for Aza Smith and Mehitable POTTER. I have, however, found one for Azor C Smith and Mehitable WATROUS or WATERS. From the database US Newspaper Extractions, the marriage took place on Feb. 15, 1821 in Lebanon, Connecticut. From the Barbour Collection, Lebanon Volume, the date is March 15, 1821. John was born in 1825. What if the informant for that death certificate only assumed POTTER was her maiden name based on John's middle name?  Should I go down this path?





Now I don't believe all of Ancestry's hints, but there was one for Azor C Smith that led me to a death record for an Azor C Smith, who died in Worcester, Massachusetts at age 56 in 1854. His parents were POTTER & Harriet Smith. John Potter Smith had moved to Worcester by 1850. Could I be on the right road?

Potter Smith died in 1824 in Norwich. His Will is available on Ancestry. Mentioned in the widow's portion of the inventory is "A C Smith". The relationship is not explained from what I've been able to read of the documents. Is it just a coincidence? 



I have stalled out, unable to find anything on Mehitable Watrous or Waters. Women are always much more difficult. I'm looking at a William Waters in Lisbon, but have not found anything yet that connects him to Azor or Mehitable Smith.  I'm not sure where to turn, but after a break I will travel down this path again. 



My Relationship to:

John Potter Smith: Third Great Grandfather
    The lineage:
  1. My Third Great Grandfather: John Potter Smith
  2. My Great Great Grandmother: Henrietta Smith
  3. My Great Grandpa: Cora Gaisford
  4. My Grandma
  5. My Dad
  6. Me

No comments:

Post a Comment