Friday, July 6, 2018

Friday's Faces from the Past - Mrs Murphy



"Mrs Murphy" was written on the back of this photograph, nothing more. Several wives named Murphy lived within a 50 mile radius of Eldorado, Nebraska in 1900, but a few were in their 70's or 80's. A Mrs Mary, wife of William Murphy was 48 years old and lived in Edgar. Also Mrs Eliza, age 50, wife of J E Murphy lived in York. Both towns not too far from Eldorado. But the most likely candidate for this picture is Mrs "L L", wife of Andrew Murphy, who was enumerated just 12 households from the Negley family in Eldorado. This photo came from the stash that once belonged to my Great Grandmother Sadie (Negley) McGrath or someone in her family. 

"L L" turns out should actually be Sarah Lenora, who went by Sallie. She was 38 years old in 1900. Of course, I don't know what year this picture was taken of her. Besides her husband Andrew, a daughter named Maud, 15, was also living in the household. I've posted a photo of a Maud before, but I didn't include Maud Murphy in my list of who it could be. Either I missed her or was off in my estimation of the time of the photo. Maud's and Mrs Murphy's photos have the same type of frame, although the photographs don't look like they were taken the same year. There is no photographers logo on either one. 

If I'm right, these women are mother and daughter. What do you think?



4 comments:

  1. At first glance, I saw no resemblance between them, but upon closer inspection, I do believe Maud's eyebrows look exactly like Mrs. Murphy's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was like you, didn't see much resemblence. Then I thought the forehead/hairline look the same. There is a big difference in the ages of each one. Thanks, Wendy

      Delete
  2. Happy Blogiversary. 🎈 I do see the resemblance in the two ladies. Especially their noses. Lovely photos. Love the name of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! I appreciate your opinion and the compliment.

      Delete