Monday, March 18, 2019

Old Trunk in the Attic's #AtoZChallenge Theme Reveal




Every April rolls around and I enjoy reading blog posts other bloggers write for the A to Z April Blogging Challenge and get the idea to try it myself. This challenge is open not only to genealogy bloggers, but all bloggers of any topic. Each participant can choose their own theme related to their blog topic to write about. Every year April is suddenly here and I'm not prepared to do 26 posts in 26 days. I don't write daily. For those who aren't familiar with my blog, I should point out that I know writing is not my strong point. I just write to share the things I've learned about my family history.

Last April I decided to pre-plan for 2019. After debating between a couple of ideas, I decided for my theme to write about the Newspaper Clippings I've found in relation to my family history research.  I stashed clippings in a folder to include and have spent the last few months writing about them. So this year I am ready for 26 days of blogging. 

Most tombstones have a year, then a dash, then a year. I love to use newspapers to help change that dash to a documentary on my ancestors. Digitized, searchable newspapers are fantastic for adding insight and character to a person. It's even better when they are available online. I use as many free sites as possible and I find them through The Ancestor Hunt. I've been making trips to the Nebraska State Historical Society Library in Lincoln for several years collecting clippings of articles from microfilmed newspapers where my ancestors were mentioned. When searching for articles on microfilm, it is almost necessary to know a date of an event. Occasionally, I've gotten lucky finding interesting mentions just by browsing the papers, but I don't have much opportunity for that. The newspaper clippings I post in this series will come from both microfilmed and digitized newspapers.

I hope you will follow along and maybe try searching for your own ancestors in the 

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! You're sounds interesting. I'm very curious, anxious to see it.

      Delete
  2. Now that's an unusual theme. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! When I get the chance, I want to read more of your blog.

      Delete
  3. I did a newspaper clipping theme last year! I look forward to following your family through the news. Those items fill in a lot of blanks that the records don't.

    www.findingeliza.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to have time to read through your posts from last year, and I look forward to "One thing leads to another". Great idea!

      Delete
  4. I have learned so much from digitised newspaper resources. I used to browse microfilms of old newspapers but digitisation has been so very useful for family history research. I look forward to reading about your finds.

    Regards
    Anne
    a fellow A to Z genealogy blogger
    https://ayfamilyhistory.com/2019/03/18/my-sixth-a-to-z-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Your trip sounds fascinating, I'll be checking it out.

      Delete
  5. Sounds interesting. Looking forward to reading more. Wish you luck with the A2Z challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every year I admire the stamina and creativity of the bloggers who participate in the A to Z challenge. Every year I consider it, but can't quite make the commitment, at least not yet. I think your choice of newspapers is a great one and will be interesting to follow. Maybe I should follow your lead and begin now for next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the only way it would work for me, Nancy. I started writing these in mid FEB when it was too cold outside. Now that it's getting nice out, I'm so glad I did! I hope you like what I've come up with.

      Delete
  7. I’m a genealogist so I think this is a really great theme. Looking forward to your posts in April #AprilAtoZ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, It will be interesting to see what you have found and how you, perhaps, tie it back to your known research or surprises you did not expect. I agree Newspapers are a wonderful source of information about our ancestors. Looking forward to your posts, Fran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely some surprises. It isn't alphabetical by name or location, I have different types of articles which may inspire others to look for something similar, or just encouragement to see what they might find. Thank you for your interest.

      Delete