Sunday, October 13, 2019

A View from the Windmill




This photo might have been taken from the top of a windmill. Or possibly from a hay loft in a barn. The photo is printed on paper, about 3 x 4 inches, and has no information to help identify the owners of this place.  

After my Grandma's death, I went through a plastic tub that was filled with different boxes with a variety of things in each one. One was an old greeting cards box. In that box I found baby photos of my brother and I, my birth announcement, a graduation picture of my Aunt. There were also old photos of people, some I knew, others I did not. The people I recognized were members of the Roscoe family, my Grandpa's mother's family. Her birth name was Charlotte Roscoe, her parents were William and Lena. Just as we were going through Grandma's things and giving them back to each family, I think this little box might have been given to my Grandparents after Grandpa's mother died.

This photo was in that box. William Roscoe, my Second Great Grandfather sold windmills. Another reason I believe this was taken from the top of a windmill. Census records show he lived in the village of DeWitt, Nebraska, maybe on the edge of town? Maybe it's not their place at all.

Zooming in close shows a man and a woman or young girl standing at the arched gate in the fence, but they are too small to indentify. The woman's dress goes to her knees. It looks like a big garden between the house and what looks like a wheat field. There isn't any vehicle or farm equipment in the picture to help date the photo. 

I'll post more photos from that box soon.







2 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful photo with a great view! I hope you can somehow find enough information to learn where this is located and how owned the property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. I can only hope someone else might have a similar picture with information written on their copy.

      Delete