Sunday, November 24, 2019

My Signature Collection





Signatures are so unique and personal and I always love to find my ancestors' signatures. I was renovating my house and wanted to add some family history displays to the wall above my desk. If you've seen this before, I had tweeted it a while back.

The signatures came from documents that I felt my direct ancestors personally signed, like Draft registrations, Wills and legal documents. I cropped them out then resized each signature to 3" in width. Then I lined them up in the center of a legal size document and printed on white cardstock. I had more signatures than I could use, but I had a limit.  I wanted the vertical to end up 13" to match up beside my family tree chart (and could only print on 14" cardstock anyway). Some of the signatures needed some cleaning up, like removing some background marks. My experience with Microsoft Paint was very minimal before this, but I took my time.

The frame was sold in pieces, I bought one set (2) of 13" and one set of 8". When I get tired of seeing this collection of signatures, I can replace signatures with others and have an entirely new collection to see! 





8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea, Laura! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really creative idea, Laura. Especially if you don't have photographs of ancestors. I think I may give this a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael. It's easy to make. Let's see yours when you've finished it!

      Delete
  3. Brilliant idea! This year, I have been trying to give more "heritage-style" gifts, if I can. I don't know if I can get one done in time for Christmas, but someone will be getting this sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane. These can go pretty quickly if you don't have to clean them up much. Good luck!

      Delete