Sunday, October 25, 2020

Last Will & Testament of William T Spalding, 1880

At the age of 62, William T. Spalding, otherwise known as "William Tunk", wrote out his will. His wife was 48 and his children were between the ages of 39 and 13. His son, "Joe Tunk", is my daughter's second Great Grandfather. The will, dated December 4, 1880, was written only 3 months before his death on March 6, 1881. He spent his entire life in Marion County, Kentucky and was buried in the Holy Name of Mary Cemetery. A transcription of the will is below the photo.

William Tunk's family as I have it:

from his first marriage to Amanda Jarboe

  • Anna Emma Spalding (1841-1891), married Joshua Green Abell in 1839
  • Mary Alice Spalding (1843-1864), never married 
  • Catherine "Kit" Spalding (1845-1910), married Charles Preston Luckett in 1866

with his second wife, Mary Louisa Abell

  • Amanda Ann Spalding (1850-1910), married Henry Luckett 
  • Jane Florine Spalding (1852-1920), married James Robinson 
  • Martha Henrietta (1854-1925), married George Washington Spalding 
  • Elizabeth Rosina (1856-1919), married John Bernard Thomas 
  • Joseph T Spalding (1858-1945), married Harriett Elizabeth Thomas 
  • Susan Frances Spalding (1860-?)
  • Martin John Spalding (1864-1951)
  • Alice May Spalding (1867-1957), married Joseph A Spalding 
  • Richard Clement Spalding (1869-1870)
  • Mary Lillian Spalding (1871-1871)


"Kentucky Probate Records, 1727-1990," database w/ images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org), Marion > Will records, 1863-1890, Vol. 1 > image 190 of 553; county courthouses, Kentucky.
"Kentucky Probate Records, 1727-1990," FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org), Marion Will records, 1863-1890, Vol. 1; county courthouses, Kentucky


Will of Wm T Spalding

In the name of God amen. I William T Spalding of Marion County Kentucky being sound of mind, do make this my last Will and Testament.

1st I will my soul to God who grave it, and my body to the Earth from whence it came.

2nd I will to the Pastor of Calvary church one hundred dollars to say masses for my poor soul.

3rd I will to my beloved wife Leweaser all my Estate during her life. And at her death I will to my two sons Joseph Spalding and Martin John Spalding all my landed Estate to be equally divided between them. I will the land to them at Five thousand dollars, and they are to pay back to the Estate One thousand each when they come in possession of said land.

4th I will that my said two sons to manage the Farm during the life time of my beloved wife at the price they may agree upon.

5th I will that my Daughter Amanda Luckett and children shall have a home on the farm during her single life.

6th My children that have not been married. I want them to receive the same as the others that are married, including Joseph, who is married.

7th I leave my wife my sole administratrix without Bond or administration. This 4th day of Dec.r 1880

William T Spalding


T M Bickett

Henry Abell


State of Kentucky }

Marion County

At a county court held in and for said county on the 4th day of April 1881, the foregoing paper preporting to be the last Will and Testament of William T Spalding dec’d was produced in open court and proven by the oaths of Henry Abell & T M Bickett the two attesting witnesses thereto. And ordered to be recorded as the last Will and testament of William T Spalding Dec’d.

Whereupon I have recorded it & this certificate.

This July 14th, 1881

John Severance, Clk



2 comments:

  1. It’s good to transcribe documents like this so they’re searchable on the internet. It may connect you to kin researching online. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I'm also finding that family I already know thinks it's pretty cool to see these old documents. I posted this for them and have another one coming. I'm looking forward to seeing what part of Nebraska you saw on your recent trip Michael.

      Delete