Sunday, August 25, 2019

Bonaparte Cemetery, A Nice Retreat


Born Mary Jane Hull, my Third Great Grandmother's first married name was Climie, and she died with her second married name of Mary Jane Jones. Her life ended in 1854 in a little town in the southeast corner of Iowa called Bonaparte. 

In 2014 as we traveled across Iowa on Highway 2 while on vacation, I was able to visit her grave in Bonaparte Cemetery. This is the second oldest grave (with an original stone) of my direct ancestors that I've been able to visit in person. It's a big cemetery right next to the Honey Creek coming off the Des Moines River on the west side of Bonaparte. It's natural grass had been mowed recently when I was there. Everything was green and with the trees lining the creek it was a pretty place. There was no on-site directory, but after some walking around I was able to find the stone based on the photo posted on Find A Grave.

Mary Jane and her first husband Thomas may have divorced, but I haven't found a record to confirm that. Some people claim his grave is in the Wyoming Cemetery in Ontario, Canada.

Mary Jane had a total of eight children with her two husbands. With Thomas, who is my Third Great Grandfather, she had Andrew, Robert and my Second Great Grandmother, Nancy JaneWith Edward Jones, Mary Jane had five children, Mary, Jane, Margaret, Jeanette and George. She died shortly after George's birth. George lived to be about 80 years old. The remains of her children are resting in Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas and Missouri. 

Still legible in person, her tombstone is inscribed: 
"Erected by Edward Jones in memory of his wife Jane Jones who departed this life May 29, 1854 Aged 37 yrs 10 Mos".



Her parents are unknown to me. Mary Jane was born in Ireland, I believe, and moved first to Canada, but I am not sure if her parents ever came to this continent.


2 comments:

  1. I was shocked to read her age. The details of her life made me picture an older woman.

    ReplyDelete