Sunday, September 1, 2019

The One and Only Clatonia Cemetery


Clatonia Cemetery about 100 miles away from me, is located just outside the village of Clatonia, Nebraska. To my knowledge, there is no other town in the country, nor any other cemetery in the country with that name. It's not a very large cemetery and is still currently being used. I think I was first there in the 90's, some photos I have were from my old 35mm Canon. I've been back a few times.

The graves of several family members are there including my Grandpa's parents, Albert and Lottie Menke. Her birth year is inscribed as 1888, but I believe it should be 1887. I didn't attend the funeral for either of them. In fact I don't ever remember seeing them. My Grandpa's family didn't get together much.


MENKE
Charlotte I                   C Albert
1888-1975               1886-1965
On the ring in the center is inscribed: Married Oct. 18, 1906


Of their thirteen children, four are also buried here, two more are in Prairie Home near Diller, one in the Oak Ridge Cemetery in DeWitt, one is in Bellevue, Nebraska, one in California, one in Florida, one in Iowa and one in Kansas. The youngest child is still living. With a family spread all across the country like this, it's no wonder they didn't get together much.

Both of their parents are also buried in this cemetery. Lottie's parents are William and Lena Roscoe. Albert's parents are Henry and Eliza Menke.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment