Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Great Grandma McGrath's birthday




I share my birthday, March 3rd, with my Great Grandma Sadie McGrath.  We never shared a cake though, she passed away four years before I was born.

Sadie Ellen Negley was born 135 years ago on March 3, 1880 in Decatur County, Iowa.  Her parents were Josiah Foster Negley and Sarah Mariah Matilda Lee.  They moved from Iowa to Eldorado, Nebraska about 1887.  This photograph was taken on her wedding day, October 8, 1908 with her sister, Alice Negley.  Sadie married Arthur McGrath in York, Nebraska.   

On the 28th of September, 1958, Sadie died.  I was told she sat down after doing the dishes and had a stroke.  She was survived by her 4 children and 8 grandchildren, she didn't live long enough to know any of her great-grandchildren.  She died just 10 days short of her 50th wedding anniversary.

2 comments: