Sunday, March 1, 2015

Slave Name Roll Project - Will of John Adair, 1843


This is my contribution to the Slave Name Roll Project created by Schalene Dagutis which you can read about at Tangled Roots and Trees.  The idea being to make accessible the names of slaves and their owners so that they may be found by their descendants through search engines on the internet.  



This image of the will of John Adair, of Wayne County, Kentucky is available through familysearch.org, but the next two pages are missing.  Years ago, I received a transcription of this Will. 

Wayne Co. Will Book A, pg 81-82

Written 6 OCT 1842, proved NOV Court 1843

I John Adair of the county of Wayne and State of Kentucky do hereby make my last will and testament... 


I give my daughter Polly Parmley my negro girl Milley and her three children Julia Ann, William and Franklin, and the clothing, beds and bedclothing that belongs to my house and a flax wheel.


I also give my son John Adair, my negro woman Hannah and half the price of my land. 


In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 6th day of October in the year One thousand eight hundred and forty two.  Signed sealed and published and declared to be the last will and testament of the above named John Adair in the presence of us Mark Foster, John Hurt.



Update 10/21/17: The entire Will can be found at Family Search in the record set titled "Will Records 1836-1909 Vol A" (Image #65) or at Ancestry in the database "Wills, Vol A 1801-1971" (Image #128). I have posted the entire Will and more information on the enslaved people now in my post  "Wayne County, KY John Adair's Estate".



No comments:

Post a Comment