Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Wills of Washington County Kentucky 1792-1858, Part 2


Last month, I contributed a post to the Slave Name Roll Project by extracting names of enslaved people from the first half of the book "Wills of Washington County Kentucky 1792-1858" compiled by Annie Walker Burns (1936).  There are many Wills that are not transcribed in their entirety in the book.  I have extracted all names of enslaved persons, but again for more information you will want to see the entire transcription (or what there is of it) at either familysearch.org or GenGophers.com.  The information to find the original Will is included with each transcription. 

First page number I've given is the page of the book, the original Will Book and page number follow the information from the will.  Pages 150 through 290 cover the years 1824 to 1856.

---Page 151
Richard Lee
February 1, 1822
June 14, 1824
"...I give all my property and free from negro woman Henny and her 7 children, viz: Simon, John, Isaac, Charles, David, Rose and Claybourn..."  
Richard Lee
Book D Page377

---
Page 154
Gideon Bosley
November 24, 1830
February 28, 1831
"...Thirdly should my beloved wife Elizabeth marry again I will to her during her natural life my negro woman Minty and negro girl Artamisa which slaves with their increase are to be secured by my executors hereafter named for the benefit of my children after the death of my wife Elizabeth..."
Gideon Bosley
Book E Page 2

---
Page 154-155
Robert Crouch
December, 1820
March 28, 1821
"...Secondly to my name sake Robert Crouch Moffett son of John C. and Elizabeth J. Moffett I give my two little slaves John and his sister Sarah Ann...
Fifthly to my beloved adopted daughter now Elizabeth J. Moffett I lend my slave Nincy and her increase...
Sixth my slave Reuben, Davy, Henry after the marriage of my beloved wife I desire to be freed also my wife may free Alice when she pleases..."
Robert Crouch
Book E Page 3, 4, 5, 6

---
Page 155-156
Drewcilla Sheet (Sleet)
December 15, 1827
March 28, 1831
"...First that all of my just debts are paid and the negro woman Jenny I bequeath to my daughter Rebecca Brown and her heirs forever...
Also my desire is that my negro man Lewis at my death be sold..."
Drucilla Sleet
Book E Page 7

---
Page 157-158
Charles Burks
April 19, 1831
May 23, 1831
"...I also give my mother (Sarah Burks) negroes Job, Christopher and Minty...
Item three negro woman Beck and her son Patrick is no part of my estate, they belong to my mother... I also give to my mother Sarah Burks a negro girl Martha.
Item four if negro man Christopher is obedient to my mother during her life he shall have his freedom at her death...
Item seven I give unto Sarah Smith wife of Presley C. Smith one negro man named Charles...
Item eight I do give unto Ann Vain wife of William Vain one negro man called Big Jack...
Item nine I do give unto my sister Mary King wife of George King one yellow man named Little Jack...
Item eleven I give unto Samuel Burks negro Paul and her three children namely Malinda, Jim and Margaret... "
Charles Burks
Book E Page --

---
Page 159
Benjamin Phillips
April 13, 1829
June 27, 1831
"...First I give to my wife Elizabeth Phillips my negro woman Chloe... after her death the negro Chloe shall be divided between my son Robert and my daughter Elizabeth...Also I give my said son and daughter Robert and Elizabeth four negroes namely Serilda, Thom, James and Eliza..."
Benjamin Phillips
Book E, Page 26


---
Page 159-160
John Shehan
July 7, 1831
July 25, 1831
"...And I do furthermore will that my negro man Joseph be sold..."
John Shehan
Book E, Page 32

---
Page 161
Benedict Bouls (Bolds)
September 25, 1831
October 24, 1831
"...I will my negro woman Mint to have her freedom..."
Benedict Bowls
Book E, Page 74

---
Page 163
William Mattingly
February 24, 1832
March 26, 1832
"...I now in the first place give to my wife Ann Mattingly my negro woman Charlotte and the third of her increase...
I now in the second place give to my son Thomas Mattingly my two negro girls Harriet and Margaret and the other thirds of Charlotte's increase..."
William Mattingly
Book E, Page 113

---
Page 164-166
Clement Hill
December 8, 1832
No date
"...I also give to my said wife Mary Hill during her life for the use of my above named children my four negro women namely Milly, Esther, Caroline and Phillips also my negro girl Hannah. I also give to my wife two negro men Sam and Peter and my two boys Dennis and Jerry...
Item three I wish my Executor to hire out my two negro men Jack and Lewis and my boy ?Green...
I also give to my son Richard H. Hill my negro boy Alec about four years old...
Item seven I will to my daughter Nancy negro girl Jenny...
Item eight I give to my daughter Mariah Turner my negro girl Helen...
Item nine I give to my daughter Elizabeth my negro girl Clansa...
Item eleven I give to my daughter Rebecca my negro girl Prissy..."
Clement Hill
Book -- Page -- 

---
Page start on 167

Mary Johnson
June 3, 1833
July 22, 1833
"...Item three I lend to Joseph F. Johnson my negro girl Mary until his daughter Treacy Ann Johnson arrives to the age of twenty-one years..."
Mary Johnson
Book E, Page 142

---
Page 170
Wilfred Goodrum
April 22, 1832
June 25, 1832
"...Item two I give to my daughter Jane a negro girl named Eliza..."
Wilfred Goodrum
Book E, Page 154

---
Page 172
Tavenor Nantz
August 22, 1832
September 24, 1832
"...And where as my son David W. Nantz...he having hired a negro named Lawyer of me..."
Tavenor Nantz
Book E, Page 164

---
Page 173
Nancy Catten (Cotten or Callen)
March 8, 1831
February 25, 1833
"...I will and bequeath unto my son Logan Catten a negro boy by the name of Willie..."
Nancy Catten
Book E, Page 168

---
Page 173
Sarah Payne
January 17, 1833
February 25, 1833
"...Codicil: I have heretofore given my above named two daughter Priscilla Payne and Elizabeth Payne two young negroes a piece towit: to Priscilla Payne boys named David and Richmond and to Elizabeth Payne one boy named Washington and one girl named Caroline..."
Sarah Payne
Book E, Page 167

---
Page 174
Joseph Dant
June 30, 1833 [sic]
June 26, 1833
"...I will to my beloved daughter Treacy Dant my negro man Nace..."
Joseph Dant
Book E, Page 200

---
Page 175
Justice Hayes
June 26, 1833
August 26, 1833
"...Also will that in case my grandson Green R. Hayes should die without children that all of my negroes except Michael shall be freed at his death provided that they have obtained the age of twenty five years,  And those that have not obtained the age of twenty-five years to serve to that age and be set free at eighteen, except a girl named Rachel who under the same provisions is to be set free at 18..."
Justice Hayes
Book E, Page 202

---
Page 176
Thomas Livers
July 4, 1833
August 26, 1833
"...I will to my beloved wife Ann Livers my negro woman Rachel during her life. If said Rachel should out live my wife then she is to belong to Rev. Robert Byrne with her to be taken good care of...
I will to my nephew Henry S. Blandford my plantation and my negro man Ben..."
Thomas Livers
Book E, Page 203


---
Page 176
August Cissell
January 31, 1831
August 26, 1833
"...to my beloved wife Frances Cissell...the following slaves during her widowhood: [?]eg, Martin, Zachariah..."
August Cissell
Book E, Page 205

---
Page 178
Elizabeth Muldrow
January 10, 1833
February 25, 1833
"...I desire that my black woman Esther be freed immediately after my death and that she is to take care of her infant child Miremesha for three years from July last past. I desire my negro girl Nancy shall be held no longer in slavery after the first day of February 1836. I desire my negro girl Mariah shall be held no longer in slavery after the first of February 1839. I desire my black boy Joseph shall be held no longer in slavery then 1843. I desire that my negro boy Elijah shall be held no longer in slavery after the year 1845. I desire that my negro girl Catherine shall be held no longer in slavery than the 25th of December 1850. I desire that my negro girl Artemesha shall be held no longer in slavery after July 1st 1853. It is my will and desire that all the above named negroes who are not set free shall be and remain in the care of protection of my friend Ezekial E. Haggen until they become free by this will..."
Elizabeth Muldrow
Book E, Page 276

---
Page 179
Walter Ozbourn
November 13, 1833
February 24, 1834
"...I also give to my wife Clotilda my negro man Moses, my negro woman Mary, and my negro woman Betty and Tready and my negro boys Ben  and Tom...
Third I give to my daughter Louisa Johnson my negro girl Harriet...
Fifth I give to my daughter Caroline my negro boy Ralph..."
Walter Ozbourn
Book E, Page 402

---
Page 181
Priscilla Riney
December 16, 1831
January 27, 1834
"...and my son Robert Riney two dollars and my negro woman Mary..."
Priscilla Riney
Book E, Page 388

---
Page 182
Joseph Ferguson
October 17, 1833
February 24, 1834
"...I will to my beloved wife Elizabeth Ferguson all of my estate all of my land and my negro girl Anna..."
Joseph Ferguson
Book E, Page 412

---
Page 183
Cissell Augusta
January 31, 1831
August 26, 1833
"...Slaves Peg, Martin and Zachariah..."
Cissell Augusta
Book E, Page 205

---
Page186
Morgan Wright
September 5, 1833
November 25, 1833
"...A negro Lucy married William Thomas..."
Morgan Wright
Book E, Page 353

---
Page 188

Matt Doyle
February 1, 1831
March 23, 1835
"...To my wife Mary...negro girl Phillis..."
Matt Doyle
Book E, Page 180

---
Page 192
Abraham McElroy
May 1, 1834
August 25, 1834
"...to my beloved wife Ducy forever my negro girl Eliza..."
Abraham McElroy
Book F, Page 17

---
Page 192
John Fleece
July 6, 1833
September 22, 1834
"...I give unto Henry Pope in trust all of my property consisting of one negro girl Eliza to be sold..."
John Fleece
Book F, Page 98

---
Page 193
Thomas Pettis [sic]
September 7, 1834
November 24, 1834
"...It is my will that my wife Hetty Pettit...also the black man Harry...
It is my will that my black man Sam be sold soon after my death to a master of his own choosing..."
Thomas Pettit
Book F, Page --

---
Page 194-195
Aquilla Blandford
April 23, 1836
May 23, 1836
"...I give unto my wife Anny...my negroes namely Francis, Wilson, Lucy, Patsy, Annastatia..."
Aquilla Blandford
Book F, Page 353

---
Page 195
Berry Lewis
April 28, 1836
May 28, 1836
"...I give to my wife Mary...my negro man Bant also my woman Jane..."
Berry Lewis
Book F, Page 352

---
Page 195
Margaret Davison
March 21, 1836
July 25, 1836
"...Fourth I give to my niece Susanna Jane Davison my negro girl Lucy.
Fifth I give to my nephew Edmond L. Davison my negro boy Lowry.
Sixth I give to my brother Elias Davison my negro man Jim, my negro woman Nina and her three youngest children Calvin, Scumphy and Mary..."
Margaret Davison
Book F, Page 360

---
Page 197
William Forbes Taylor of the District of Edgefield South Carolina
Copy
June 30, 1810
August 27, 1811
"...Secondly whereas I have set my negro woman Sylvia free and have bound myself to pay her one hundred dollars per annum during her natural life I do hereby devise unto her the said woman Sylvia one hundred dollars as soon as possible after my death and it is my earnest request that my executors so pay the said negro woman punctually, etc...
Fourth I give to my old negro man slave Dick called Dick Cash his personal freedom and that my executors pay to him one hundred dollars..."
William F. Taylor
Book F, Page 404

---
Page 197-198
John Linton
May 20, 1834
December 26, 1836
"...I give to my son Moses one negro boy named William...
I give to my son Benjamin Linton one negro girl named Milly...
I give to my daughter Susan Morgan and her husband William Morgan... a negro named Dick...
I give to my daughter Martha Mudd one negro boy named James...
I also give my said daughter Catherine Taylor one negro man named Matt...
I give to my son John H. Linton...one negro woman named Mariah and her two children Henry and Lea...
I give to my grand daughter Mary E. Powell one negro girl named Leh
I give to my son John H. Linton... four negroes namely Jack (or Hack?), Henry, Flora and Esther and their increase...
I give to my son Lewis Linton... and three negroes named George, Lythe and Warren...
I give to my grand daughter Elizabeth Taylor one negro boy named Hiram...
Codicil: I have two old negroes named Dick and Connie his wife it is my wish that they shall be permitted by my executors to go where they please and that they do not suffer..."
John Linton
Book B Page 414

---
Page 198-199
William Cambron
January 12, 1836
June 26, 1837
"...And whereas a part of the said five hundred dollars is for the sale of a negro Moses I hereby give the note which I hold on James O'Danel to him being clearly understood that the said note makes the part of the said five hundred dollars above..."
William Cambron
Book F, Page 456

---
Page 199
Christopher Barlow
June 5, 1837
June 24, 1837
"...I will Patsy my slave and her children her and their freedom that is Harriet, Emily Annis, William, Richard and Young and also Kisiah and her children that is Berry, John Henry, Hetty and Adison. Also Ellis and Parker the children of my deceased slaves Jemima to have their freedom...
I will that the balance of my slaves viz: Jack, Bazil, and Alsy be sold..."
Christopher Barlow
Book F, Page 460

---
Page 200
Mathew Yocom (Yocum) 
June 22, 1836
June 26, 1837
"...I give to my daughter Sarah McDaniel one negro girl Harriet..."
Mathew Yocum
Book F, Page 465

---
Page 200-201
Thomas Dean (Copy)
February 19, 1833
June 23, 1837
"...First to Sarah Dean my wife... my negro woman Hennie...
Second my eldest daughter Malinda Phillips I give a negro girl named Lucy...
Third to my second daughter Polly Phillips I give unto her the negro girl named Eddy...
Sixth to my fifth daughter Sally Bean I give a negro girl named Lavania...
Seventh to my two sons Alfred and Henry Dean... my negro woman Hennie and her increase except the girl I gave Sally Dean..."
Thomas Dean
Book E, Page 502

---
Page 203-204
John Graves
November 9, 1838
May 27, 1839
"...I give to my wife Delilah one negro girl named Mary daughter of Rose...
Fifth I hereby confirm my gift of negro Fanny and Sylvia and all their increase to the children of my deceased daughter Matilda Bailey her children's names are as follows: Nancy, John, Margaret, and Franklin Bailey...
Tenth it is my will that at my death my heirs that is the seven spoken of in article three shall give to my negro old Jim and his wife Lydia their freedom..."
John Graves
Book G, Page 66

---
Page 204
James Montgomery
May 2, 1838
September 23, 1839
"...I give to my beloved wife Sarah... negroes Mary, Nancy, Jacob, Pius, Julia, Lucinda, Martha and George..."
James Montgomery
Book G, Page 82

---
Page 205-206
Joseph Buckman
September 14, 1839
October 28, 1839
"...Codicil: I wish that my odd [sic] negro woman Henny to remain with my son George and that he maintain her during her life time..."
Joseph Buckman
Book G, Page 108

---
Page 207
John Walker
September 19, 1837
September 23, 1839
"...Eighth and if my executors here after named shall deem it necessary to sell a negro man Steven they have the right to do so..."
John Walker
 Book G, Page 112

---
Page 208
Nancy Lancaster
May 27, 1839
December 23, 1839
"...Item two it is my will that my executors here after named take charge of my negroes namely George, Cyrus, Caroline and Martha and hire them out annually for the purpose of raising a fund for the support for a black boy Charles that is silly and a cripple also fittye...
It is my will that Martha my black girl be reserved to nurse Charles and to keep with him for the purpose and that so long as he may live...
It is my will that Harry who formerly belonged to my father take charge of the foulish boy Charles..."
Nancy Lancaster
Book G, Page 114

---
Page 210-211
John McPherson of Nelson County
November 16, 1838
September 25, 1843
"...Whereas I have given my wife Elizabeth a negro girl Nancy which she has sold...
I give to my daughter Margaret my negro woman Charity during her life..."
John McPherson
Book G, Page 160

---
Page 211
Basil Speaks of Springfield, Kentucky
August 15, 1837
August 24, 1840
"...My slave Dick is to be set free at my wife's death..."
Basil Speaks
Book G, Page 177

---
Page 212
Robert McKittrick (Noncupative)
November 11, 1840
November 25, 1840
"...that Henna his black woman was to be set free at his death. That it was understood that she was never to serve any other single person after his death and that her little child was to remain with her until Henna's death and that Henna was to have a cabin erected on the south part of his farm and have five acres of ground during her life.."
Book G, Page --

---
Page 214-215
Rosaline Mallon Smith
March 2, 1840
November 22, 1841
"...I leave Sarah Ann a slave whom I bought six years ago to my husband (not named)..."
Rosaline Mallon Smith
Book G, Page 251

---
Page 215
Richard Beall
-- 1827
January 24, 1842
"...I will to Rebecca Shehan one negro child named Beth..."
Richard Beall
Book G, Page 273

---
Page 216
Levy Carrico
February 10, 1832
February 28, 1842
"...I also give to my wife Catherine one negro boy Henry and my negro girl Elizabeth..."
Levi Carrico
Book G, Page 278

---
Page 216-217
Thomas W. Claybrook
July 13, 1842
July 25, 1842
"...I give to my son William P. D. Claybrook... my negroes Frank and  Peter... 
I give to my son Thomas M. Claybrook the following negroes, Arch, Cisly, Lewis, Judia, Jane, Edmond, Willie, Samuel, and Jefferson, Little Arch, Isabell and Zanzer...
I give to my sister in law Elizabeth L. Sturman negroes John and Eliza during her natural life and at her death they to go to my son Thomas M....
It is my wish that my children shall keep my negroes Mary and child Nancy and Cellia together..."
Thomas W. Claybrook
Book G, Page 302


---
Page 217
Elizabeth Peak
July 5, 1842
August 23, 1842
"...I will to my daughter Jane Phillips a negro woman named Hannah ..."
Elizabeth Peak
Book G, Page 306

---
Page 219
Moses McCown
December 15, 1842
December 26, 1842
"...after my wife's death Cartwell McKittrick is to have a negro boy named Jim, Margaret is to have a negro girl named Thelma, and Joseph C. to have a negro boy named Calvin..."
Moses McCown
Book G, Page 322

---
Page 219
Allen Schrewsberry
December 3, 1841
June 26, 1843
"...I give to my wife Nancy Schrewsberry my negro woman Lucy during her life time...
I give to my son Nathaniel Schrewsberry a negro boy named Peter now about five years old...
I give to my daughter Mary Schrewsberry a negro girl named Fanny 12 years old...
I give to my daughter Sarah Donoho one negro boy named Bonypart now 5 years old...
I give to my daughter Milly Fleming one negro girl named Elizabeth now about 9 years old..."
Allen Schrewsberry
Book G, Page 338
---
Page 221
John B. Jeffries
October 16, 1845
October 23, 1843
"...Codicil: I wish my brother Richard Jeffries to be my executor and he shall have power to sell my two negroes Wilson and Mary..."
John B. Jeffries
Book G, Page 361

---
Page 222
Major Edward Berry of Van Buren Co., Mo
July 11, 1843
October 23, 1843
"...my son Richard Berry shall have my three negroes viz.: Wesley, Kiah and Diana to belong to him and his children forever...
to my son William Berry two of my negroes ?askin and Joseph...
my son Edward Berry and his children have two of my negroes Philip and Daniel... 
to my daughter Mary Ann Mitchel and her children I bequeath Malinda and her increase. Also my girl Sarah at her mother's death...
to my daughter Nomi Redding and her children I give my girl Maria and her increase...
to my daughter Amanda Buckley and her children I give four of my negroes Adam and his wife, Jane and her two children Louisa and Amanda...
It is my will that my black Amstead and Hannah shall be set free at my death...
it is my will that my girl Nancy and her offspring be set free at the age of 25 and that they shall serve my daughter Naomi Redding and her children until they have reached the above age..."
Edward Berry
Book G, Page 362

---
Page 223
John Sims
August 22, 1843
December 25, 1843
"...I give to my beloved wife Frances Simms... also six negroes namely Ben, Emily, Louis, Harriot, Elizabeth and Harrison... 
I give to my son William Simms... a negro woman named Harriet...
to my daughter Margaret Berry one negro man named Ben
to my daughter Sunthia Williams one negro woman named Emily
to my daughter Nellis Hickerson one negro man named Louis 
to my daughter Mariah Adams one negro girl named Eliza 
to my daughter Sally McIntire one negro boy named Harrison..."
John Simms
Book G, Page 383


---
Page 225-226
Francis Simms
January 16, 1844
January 22, 1844
"...I will to my son John Simms one negro boy named Sylvester...
to my daughter Ann Caroline Mudd... to her and the heirs of her body one negro girl named Maria...
I will to my daughter Catherine Lucitta Simms one negro woman called Charity and her youngest child named Elizabeth Frances together with their increase... 
I will to my youngest daughter Alethea Simms one negro girl named Mary Ellen and her increase..."
Francis Simms
Book G, Page 392

---
Page 227
Shelton Rice
February 12, 1844
February 26, 1844
"...I also request that Mary, Mag and Nat be sold out of my family..."
Shelton Rice
Book G, Page 398

---
Page 227-228
Elizabeth McAtee
January 19, 1844
June 24, 1844
"...I will to the Rev. William Murphy President of St. Mary's College in Marion county my negro woman named Mary who has lived at St. Mary's for a number of years...
I will to my brother Edward Osbourn... a negro man named Marshall also a negro boy about three years old named John Dominic... 
I will that my executor shall sell two negro men Dick and Patrick...
I will to my nieces Laura Ann, Elizabeth and Teresa Smith one negro girl named Caroline...
I will to my nephew Edward Carrico my negro woman Jane...
I will to my niece Sivilla Carrico a small negro girl named America...
I will to my brother Joseph Osbourn one negro woman named Harriet...
I will to my nephew Polin Osbourn son of Joseph Osbourn a mulatto boy named Daniel..."
E McAtee
Book G, Page 415

---
Page 231 
Benjamin James
March 31, 1845
April 28, 1845
"...It is my will that my... negro woman Ruth be sold in the spring and should if Ruth insist on having her child Nathen sold with her her wish is to be granted..."
Benjamin James
Book G, Page 479

---
Page 232
Thomas Elliston
April 22, 1845
July 28, 1845
"...I will to my wife Mary Elliston... a certain negro man named George, he being the same boy who came from Joshua Ferguson..."
Thomas Elliston
Book G, Page 499

---
Page 236
George A. Montgomery
September 2, 1845
September 22, 1845
"...I give to my beloved wife Sary Ann Montgomery... negro man named Charles, negro boy named John, negro woman named Maria...
the balance of my negroes namely Lucy, Ann, Nicholas, Martha, Catherine, Mary Ellen, Austin, Mary and Samuel be hired out..."
George A. Montgomery
Book H, Page 15


---
Page 238-239
William Peter
"...I give to my son in law John Peter and Elizabeth Peter his wife the black girl Maria that I let them have some time since...
I give to my son Richard Peter... a negro man named Wilson and a negro boy named Henry. The child of Ocatabia now in his possession...
I will to my son Reuben D. Peter... a negro boy named Peter that he has sold and a negro girl named Tempy during her natural life...

I will to my son Heti? Peter... a negro boy named Lewis and a negro girl named Susan... 
I will to my son Jordan Peter... a negro boy named Lewis that he has sold and a negro girl named Isabell a child of Octabia...
I will to my son Sam Peter... a negro boy named Wesley that he sold...
I will to my son in law Robert Reed and Nancy Reed his wife... a negro woman named Fanny and one named Harriet...
I will to my grand son William Peter... a negro boy named Green the child of Peter and Kitty..."
William Peter
Book H, Page 223

---
Page 239
Charles Hungate
August 6, 1846
August 24, 1846
"...I give to my five sons towit: John R. Hungate, Charles Hungate, Hiram Hungate, William Hungate, and B. M. Hungate to be divided as they think proper except one small yellow girl named Martha Ellen..."
Charles Hungate
Book H, Page 134

---
Page 240
Mary Pearce
September 9, 1844
November 17, 1851
"... I give to my son Joseph McDonald my negro woman Jane and my negro boy Bob son of Jane and Jane's youngest child named Amos and her increase forever..."
Mary Pearce
Book H, Page 170

---
Page 240-241
James Brand
May 13, 1847
July 19, 1847
"...I give to my wife Catharine Bland... one negro woman named Silley and also two negro men named Steven and Alec...
I desire that Daniel and Matilda although over the age of 18..."
James Brand
Book H, Page 176

---
Page 242
Samuel Booker
April 10, 1845
January 17, 1848
"...I give to my son Paul Booker... my negro man Edmond and my negro man John...
to my grandson William Booker my negro boy Baccus...
to my grand daughter Eliza Booker child of my son Paul my negro girl Jenny...
to my son William D. Booker... my negro man Old Frank and Sam...
to my grand daughter Hettie Mariah Booker my negro girl Louisa...
to my grand daughter Harriet P. Green my negro girl Catherine...
to my grand son Paul Robert Booker my negro boy William...
to my grand daughter Louisa Jane Booker my negro girl Julia Ann...
to my grand son William Frederick Booker my negro boy Green...
to my grand son Thomas Jones Booker my negro boy Jim...
to my son William D. Booker my negro man Len...
to my grand son Samuel Edmond Booker negroes Josiah, Martha, Hartwell, Young Frank and Richard...
to my grand daughter Eliza Lititia Booker child of William D. Booker my negro girl Caroline...
I give my negro woman Sally her freedom..."
Samuel Booker
Book H, Page 224

---
Page 243
Elijah Jett
November 19, 1847
July 17, 1848
"...to my wife Rhoda... a negro boy named Bob I leave for the benefit of my deranged son Stark Jett..."
Elijah Jett
Book H, Page 297

---
Page 244-245
Philip Burns
January 15, 1846
February 19, 1849
"...Should my wife Catherine Burns out live me I give to her one negro boy named Major and one negro girl named Priscilla...
I wish after my death my black woman Abbie to be set free..."
Phillip Burns
Book H, Page 422

---
Page 246
Richard Barbour
July 27, 1849
August 18, 1849
"...I desire my executor to sell my negro man Doc..."
Richard Barbour
Book H, Page 484

---
Page 249
Benjamin Cox
Will not dated
December 18, 1848
"...to my son Chapen one negro boy named John... 
to my son Richard Harrison one negro boy named Arter...
to my son Benjamin Hardister one negro boy named Milford...
to my daughters namely: Lucinda, Elizabeth, Mary Ann, Nancy Ann, Emily, Augusta and Chineca all of these my daughters should have an equal share in a negro woman named Rose and in her increase..."
Benjamin Cox
Book H, Page 401

---
Page 251
Martin Hardin, Sr
July 16, 1838
August 21, 1838
"...gives old negro woman Jude 15 acres to live on..."
Martin Hardin
Book H, Page 322

---
Page 253
Johnathan Royalty
February 6, 1850
April 15, 1850
"...I also desire that my black girl Lucinda choose her home among the girls..."
Johnathan Royalty
Book I, Page 7

---
Page 254
John Sweeney
December 24, 1851
January 20, 1852
"...I give my beloved wife Sarah Sweeney... a negro woman Charlotte and a negro boy named Anthony...
my will is that my old negro man George and his wife Charlotte choose their home among some of my children..."
John Sweeney
Book I, Page 89

---
Page 255
Zephaniah B. Offutt
May 4, 1851
May 19, 1851
"...it is my will that my slave Helm be allowed to choose her home and that my boy slave Henry be sold by my executor..."
Zaphaniah B. Offutt
Book I, Page 130

---
Page 256-257
Squire Baker
October 11, 1851
No date
"...it is my will that my negro boy Bob shall be sold..."
Squire Baker
no book information

---
Page 258
Steven G. Letcher
August 16, 1851
October 20, 1851
"...I will that my wife Mary... have Caroline and child to wait on her and the balance of my blacks to be hired out..."
Steven G. Letcher
Book I, Page 166

---
Page 261-262
Benoni Hardin
February 21, 1851
June 20, 1853
"...I will to my wife Rachel... my negro boy Harry..."
Benoni Hardin
Book I, Page 457

---
Page 263
Leroy S. Litsey
November 2, 1853
November 21, 1853
"...it is my desire that my wife and three oldest sons (not named)... to have the use free of charge of all my negroes except Grum, Lucinda and Delia...
it is my will that my executor shall sell negro woman Lucinda and Delia her child as soon as they can..."
Leroy S. Litsey
Book I, Page 492

---
Page 266
John T. Hamilton
July 10, 1854
August 21, 1854
"...it is my will that if my executor should at any time think proper to sell my negro girl Harriet they are hereby authorized to do so..."
John T. Hamilton
Book J, Page 61

---
Page 267
Noah Reed
"...I will to my brother Green Berry Nelson Reed my negro boy Dick..."
Noah Reed
Book J, Page 64

---
Page 269
Christopher Weathers
February 17, 1853
November 20, 1854
"...it is my will that my executor here after named shall at my death take charge and select good homes for four of my slaves Buckler and Carlos two yellow men also Ann and Manada two yellow girls..."
Christopher Weathers
Book J, Page 115

---
Page 272
Elizabeth Hardin
January 28, 1855
February 19, 1855
"...to my sister Harriet Rollins my negro woman Nancy...
to my sister Fanny McElroy my small negro girl Harriet..."
Elizabeth Hardin
Book J, Page 202

---
Page 273
Daniel Mitchell Sr
March 1, 1842
March 15, 1852
"...I give to my daughter Sarah Mitchell wife of Robert Mitchell called (Burboum) a negro woman named Winney and her increase...
to my son in law James Mitchell the interest I own in a negro woman named Tersa... 
to my daughter Johannah Champion a negro girl named Betsy...
I give to my son in law Matthew Yocum a negro girl named Ann and her increase...
I give to my son George Mitchell... negro boy named Ben...
I give to my son Daniel James Mitchell... negro boy named Abb..."
Daniel Mitchell Sr
Book J, Page 207

---
Page 273
Nancy Kelly
December 28, 1848
March 15, 1852
"...to my sister Catherine Ellery my negro woman Charlotte...
to my sister Mary Polin my negro man Jerry and my negro girl Susan..."
Nancy Kelly
Book J, Page 209

---
Page 275-276
Martha A. Thompson
June 27, 1855
July 23, 1855
"...I give to my brother L. S. Thompson my negro girl Rosanna...
I give to my brother J. C. Thompson my negro boy Alexander..."
Martha A. Thompson
Book J, Page 275

---
Page 276-277
Robert Edelen
August 10, 1855
September 3, 1855
"...Item Fifteen my old negro woman Elizabeth being of no value but a charge on my estate I direct my executor to provide a comfortable support and that my wife should keep her during her life..."
Robert Edelen
Book J, Page 283

---
Page 277-279
James Flournoy
November 22, 1851
October 19, 1855
"...I will to my said son Thomas one negro named William now in his possession...
I devise to my beloved wife Martha O. Flournoy... a negro boy Joe, negro woman Mary and her two children and a negro girl Sally...
I will to my grand daughter Susan England my negro girl Hannah..."
James Flournoy
Book J, Page 301

---
Page 281
Bennett Bean
June 20, 1830
August 20, 1855
"...I give to my wife Sarah Eleanor Bean... my negro man Ben..."
Bennett Bean
Book J, Page 327

---
Page 285-286
Benjamin Phillips
November 1, 1848
September 15, 1856
"...after the death of my wife I will to my daughter Adeline Newbolt a girl called Amanda who has been loaned to her..."
Benjamin Phillips
Book J, Page 458

---
Page 286-287
Peter Adams
July 25, 1848
December 15, 1856
"...I desire that all of my negroes be freed at my death, towit: Thomas and Jane their children Thomas, Helen, Samuel, Mary Ann, Paul and Francis..."
Peter Adams
Book J, Page 485

---

1 comment: