Sunday, January 13, 2019

The Family Plot in the Aurora Cemetery



McGRATH
ARTHUR L.                    SADIE E.
1876  -  1965             1880  -  1958

As I said in my last post, my Grandma's parents, Art & Sadie McGrath are buried near her in Section 10A on the south side of the Aurora Cemetery. The grave on the right in the background of the above photo is Sadie's brother, William D. Negley, to his left is Grandma's brother Virg. All four children of Art & Sadie, Virgil, Alice, Orville and Violet, survived their parents and are buried in the same cemetery. I've been putting flowers on most of these graves before Memorial Day now for a few years. 

ORVILLE C MCGRATH
COLORADO
SGT 814 HOSPITAL GEN
WORLD WAR II
APRIL 20, 1914 - OCT. 9, 1969

VIRGIL C MCGRATH
TEC4 US ARMY
WORLD WAR II
SEP 29, 1909 - JUL 5 1982

CRUFF
ALICE                             GORDON R
DEC 1, 1911                     JUNE 2, 1905
OCT. 18, 1993                   NOV. 20, 2001
MARRIED JULY 26, 1933


WILLIAM D NEGLEY
OCT 9, 1883
DEC 10, 1961


Sadie died before I was born. She had a stroke and died at her home in Aurora. She was the first in the family to be buried in this cemetery, and the first of many whose funeral services were held in the Higby Mortuary Chapel. Two brothers had predeceased her, her two remaining brothers and her sister were at her funeral. Out of town relatives came from Denver, North Platte and Cozad. Sadie's parents are in the Harvard Cemetery.

When Art died I was only four and I don't remember him but I have a couple of pictures of my brother and I with him. He died in the Aurora Hospital after an "extended illness." The music at the funeral services of both Art & Sadie were provided by the same two women, Mrs. Lawrence Penner, soloist, accompanied by Mrs. Glenn Haworth. Pallbearers were nephews, neighbors and family friends. Art's parents are buried in the Grace Cemetery near Cozad, Nebraska.  

Had Sadie lived just another 10 days, they would have celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. I don't know if any plans had been made for a party.






No comments:

Post a Comment