Sunday, February 17, 2019

Negley's in Harvard Cemetery


Going back to my series about the grave's I've been to, I'll pick up with the Negley family line. The parents of my Great Grandma Sadie Negley McGrath are Josiah and Sarah M. Negley.   




The Negley family plot is in the northeast corner of the Harvard Cemetery, about 45 miles from my home. I've been there a few times. It's a good sized cemetery that is kept up well and has a nice electronic directory on-site that is a great help for finding graves.

The first loss for the Negley family was son Newton who died of tetanus in 1887 when he was 13. Josiah & Sarah's daughter Sadie and son Bill rest in the Aurora Cemetery, son George Oscar Negley is buried in the Stockham cemetery, and the other three are beside their parents in Harvard. All of these graves are within 30 miles of each other.

The elements have been very hard on these. Three of them are nearly illegible, especially in bright sunlight. Josiah lies on the far right and the others are in the order below, going to the left.

Josiah F.
1846-1922

Sarah M. 
1849-1927


Alice M. 
1877-1962


 
Josia D C Negley
Nebraska
PVT 7 Trench Mortar BN
World War I
Sept 12, 1881   Dec. 3, 1967

Newton 
1874-1887


Mary
1907 - 1908

Josiah & Sarah's granddaughter, Mary, is buried to the left of Josia D C or "Cal". She is the infant daughter of George Oscar and Lena Negley. Also buried in a different section in the Harvard cemetery are Sarah's brother, George Washington Lee and members of his family. 

The parents of Josiah and Sarah are resting in cemeteries in Iowa and Illinois. I've been fortunate to be able to travel to both locations.   



2 comments:

  1. Although this is not my family, I find the way you are writing about them to be helpful - showing the tombstones and their proximity to others in the family. I keep thinking I should do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I'm doing this for my family members who have not/may never be standing beside any of these graves (and don't look at the Find A Grave website).

      Delete