Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Mary Jane Hull Clemie Jones - Forever Young

Mary Jane Hull was born in Ireland on August 29, 1816.  Another researcher gave me that birth date years ago, but they didn't give their source.  I have only found a Baptismal record for a Mary Jane Hull in Aghalee, Antrim, Ireland dated November 24, 1816.  The parents on that Baptism record are Joseph and Elizabeth.  If that Mary Jane Hull is the same as mine, she didn't name any of her children after her parents.  She's on my list of international research to do someday.

When she was about 18, Mary Jane married Thomas Clemie (also spelled Climie, Clemy, Klemme et al), in Canada.  They were married about 5 years, then she was apparently widowed.  They had three children:  Andrew, Robert and Nancy Jane, who was my Great Great Grandmother.  All three children were born in Upper Canada or Northern Canada which on some census records is recorded as "NC" which then gets incorrectly transcribed as North Carolina.

In about 1840, she married Edward Jones in Canada.  They had five children:  Mary, Jane, Margaret, Jeanette and George.  The family moved to Van Buren County, Iowa before Jeanette was born.  Mary Jane died in Bonaparte, Iowa at only 37 years old.   The inscription on her stone is "Erected by Edward Jones in memory of his wife Jane Jones who departed this life May 29, 1854 Aged 37 yrs 10 Mos".   Her stone is still very legible after 160 years.



My preliminary findings through census records, findagrave and familysearch online records for the children of Mary Jane (not all confirmed, still a work-in-process): 
  • Andrew (1835-1911) married Arminta Loop, they are buried in Centerville, Iowa.
  • Robert (1837-?) married Druzilla Kirby on July 3, 1866 in Van Buren County, Iowa.
  • Nancy Jane (1838-1894) first married John O'Brien and had a daughter Nancy.  Nancy Jane's second husband was my Great-Great Grandfather, William Mann.
  • Mary (1841-1906) married Charles Harwood and moved to Franklin County, Nebraska.
  • Jane (1843-1907) married Hiram T Vandermark, they are buried in Fairmount Cemetery, Denver, Colorado.  On Ancestry I found a photo of Jane Vandermark that, when compared to a photo of Nancy Mann on findagrave, confirms for me that the two were sisters, or at least half-sisters.  The resemblance is remarkable! 
  • Margaret (1845-1927) possibly married Absalem Shoemaker and may be the woman buried in the Burr Oak Cemetery, Burr Oak, Kansas.
  • Jeanette (1849-?) married Jesse Bailey and moved to Linn County, Iowa.
  • I haven't been able to track down George Jones.  He first shows up on the 1860 census record at age 6 so he was born in 1854, which would possibly mean his birth or complications from it may have had something to do with Mary Jane's death.
Within the next two years, Edward Jones married Martha Ensley in Harrison, Lee County, Iowa.  They had 2 children, John and Victoria.  

This is the shot you don't see on findagrave.  The view (somewhat) as her family saw it as they stood by her grave.  I don't know where the family's home was from this point, but having been there now, I know that in the distance is the Des Moines River.  And to the left is the town of Bonaparte, to the right and behind them were fields and farms.  Her children, ranging in age from 19 to maybe just days old, stood on this spot and said their final goodbye to their young mother.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,

    My name is Eliesha, and I am also related to Nancy Jane. She and William Mann are my 3rd great-grandparents. I am related to them through their daughter Effie Mann. I have been researching Mary Jane Hull, and who her parents were. The only place I have seen a reference to her parents had been through Ancestry.com. It says her parents are a Robert Hull b. 1787, in Ireland and Anne, no maiden name given. I guess this might be more acurate, since one of her sons was named Robert. I don't know for sure though if this is correct. I was wondering if you had found out any other information.

    I guess we must be some sort of cousins. I have never been good at that sort of thing, so I am not exactly sure what we are to each other. How are you related to Nancy Jane and William Mann?

    Genealogy is my hobby, and I would love to chat, and see if you have anything I don't have regarding information on our family. Please e-mail me at esteffanson@gmail.com

    Thank you,

    Eliesha

    ReplyDelete