Sunday, July 6, 2014

Sunday's Obituary - Edward Jones


Centerville Weekly Citizen, July 8, 1871

"Edward Jones of Sharon township, aged 51 years, died on the 16th of June, of paralysis.  He had been helpless for about six months.  About three years since he united with the Baptist church, in which he has since lived a worthy member.  Before his death he expressed strong hope for life beyond the grave."

This doesn't actually qualify as an obituary, but it's all I've found after seeing a memorial on findagrave for Edward Jones who was buried in Mount Ararat Cemetery in Appanoose County, Iowa.  In 1870, the Edward Jones I'm tracking lived in Sharon township, Appanoose County at age 52.  He was married to Martha, children living with them were George, John W and Victoria along with Mary Bar, age 79, who was probably Martha's mother.  I believe this is the same Edward Jones who in 1860 lived in Van Buren County with wife Martha, children Margaret, Jeanette, George, John, Mary Barr and two 17-year-old boys I don't know how they fit in.  I also believe this to be Edward Jones who was in Bonaparte, Van Buren County in 1850 with his then wife Mary Jane, who died there in 1854.  The children listed in the household were Andrew Jones, (who I think should have been Andrew Clemie) Robert Clemie, Nancy Clemie - all children of Mary Jane from her first marriage to Thomas Clemie.  The Jones children listed were Mary, Jane, Margaret and Jeanette.  

I can't read his age for sure in this clipping - 51?, he would have been about 54.  If no one else claims this guy, then I do.  He would be the step-father of my 2nd Great Grandmother Nancy Clemie Mann.  Her father died when she was so young, Edward would have been the only father she knew.


No comments:

Post a Comment