Sunday, December 20, 2015

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Parties



Our 26th annual Caroling party is this year.  My husband and I hosted our first caroling party in 1989 and it has become an annual event.  We were involved in the community theater at that time and had a circle of friends that we partied with regularly.  We would all meet at our house,  then drive around town to carol to older friends we all knew.  Some were parents and other relatives of members in the group.  It often brought some of them to tears and occasionally we were treated with goodies or hot chocolate.  After caroling we would have food, drinks and a good time back at our house. 

Sadly, over time, the people we caroled to all passed away.  We started caroling at the veterans home and hospital and a few years ago added one of the four firehouses in town to our list.  We usually spend an hour or two caroling.

When my daughter was young, I used to get very stressed working full time and trying to do so much for Christmas.  One year we planned a trip to California the week before our usual caroling party night.  About October I put out the word among our group that I wasn’t going to be able to host the party, so if someone else wanted to do it they could go ahead.  Well, another couple hosted the party and didn’t realize we were home that night and we weren’t invited.  Those friends now split the hosting responsibilities with us every other year.  It’s a good break for each of us.  In the 26 years, my husband and I have missed two – that year and one other year when I was sick.  It was so nice that year when the group came to our house and caroled to us.  It brought me to tears!  We have some very wonderful memories of our caroling parties. 



“The Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories (ACCM) allows you to share your family’s holiday history twenty-four different ways during December! Learn more at http://adventcalendar.geneabloggers.com.”


No comments:

Post a Comment