Saturday, April 6, 2019

Newspaper Clippings ~ F


This post is part of a series for the April Blogging from A to Z April Blogging Challenge. My theme is Newspaper Clippings in relation to my family history. These have come from both microfilmed and digitized newspapers I've searched over the past 25 years. Click to enlarge any clipping.

 Farm Sales


The majority of my ancestors were farmers and it's great to find a notice of the sale of their farm or farm equipment in the newspaper. A sale bill will include a list of their implements, possibly some livestock and a description of the location of their farm. 


This "Menke farm" had been in the family since about 1879. Patriarch Henry Menke died in 1915 and his wife kept it going with the help of their son, my Great Grandfather Albert. 

Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, August 6, 1944























Often there is so much information about the equipment and livestock they had for sale. Notice there is no tractor listed in this one from 1940 of my Great Grandpa Mann's sale.  He preferred to work with horses. 
Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, March 1, 1940


Giltner [NE] Gazette, October 12, 1934
Cicero Bell sold his farm during the depression. He was 65 years old at the time, but apparently the "son" (who may have been my Grandpa) didn't plan to continue farming. I wrote about this and included a transcription of the sale bill here.  A unique thing about the Giltner Gazette is that a man named Gerald E. Sherard wrote a book in which he abstracted names from the Giltner Gazette from 1918 to 1962, along with much more of the history of Giltner. He notes the date of the issue where the names occur, which make finding them very easy. 1
 



Besides Funeral notices, family and friends who attend from out of town are occasionally noted in old newspapers, often in the social columns separately from the obituary.  It's nice to see that relatives from a distance made the trip for a loved ones funeral. Like all the way from Canada in 1923.    
DeWitt [NE]Times-News, May, 1923

A road trip to Oklahoma in 1941 for a funeral included my Grandparents, Great Grandparents and other relatives of my Grandma's aunt. I wonder how many cars were in this caravan.

Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, May 6, 1941


Not so long of a trip, it's nice to see that the Lee family of Hastings attended the funeral of their uncle and brother-in-law. Hastings to Harvard is a short 20 mile drive. This is the only time I've seen Josiah referred to as "Cy". 
Harvard [NE] Courier, April 20,1922


Some of my newspaper clippings with my own name include the results of my 4-H exhibits at the County Fair. I have some of my Dad's, too. More articles I've found include Fraternal organizations that my ancestors were involved in.  

Fun little tidbits about your ancestors in old papers help fill the dash between their birth and death dates. For me, they help fulfill a desire to know more about them. What can you find? Good luck with your search!




SOURCES:
1 "Historical Sketches of Giltner, Nebraska, by Gerald E. Sherard, 1985, Gateway Press Inc., Baltimore


 

16 comments:

  1. No farm sales for my ancestors but I have found land sales due to FORECLOSURE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's an unFortunate one, but it works. Anything FOR SALE would do!

      Delete
  2. Your theme is fascinating and I loved the fact that you could tell, from the farm notices that your great grandfather preferred to work with horses instead of tractors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth is I've heard it said besides just that sale bill that he preferred horses. I'm glad you're enjoying my series!

      Delete
  3. You're making me regret cancelling my ancestry account!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to be clear, these clippings come mostly from free sites or microfilmed newspapers. I've suspended my Ancestry account for a while. I use RootsMagic software for my tree.

      Delete
  4. I have long been fascinated by old newspapers and congratulations on coming up with an original A-Z theme. I use the newspaper archives on FindMyPast for both ancestral research and background information that puts their lives in a wider context I.e. what was happening at local, national and international level. “Making Headlines” was the title in Week 14 of “52 Ancestors” on my blog https://scotsue-familyhistoryfun.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I like to read about what was going on in the world that could have had an impact on my ancestors when I find time. You have quite an interesting story about Alice!

      Delete
  5. I have been enjoying your entries for this challenge, Laura. You've come up with such a variety of newspaper clipping topics! It's been fun to read your clippings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! Still 20 to go. Finding these clippings has been fun for me!

      Delete
  6. I always enjoy finding ancestors in the news. Interesting take.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating theme, and how fun to read the clippings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah. Learning these things about my ancestors is especially fascinating to me.

      Delete
  8. I have a sad sale where it is for my great grandfathers brother's shops goods being sold off after he committed suicide. Unfortunately the state destroyed all the inquest documents so I only have bits from the newspaper and vital records.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is sad! Especially that the documents were destroyed! Glad you at least have something.

      Delete