Friday, April 26, 2019

Newspaper Clippings ~ W


This post is part of a series for the April Blogging from A to Z Blogging Challenge. My theme is Newspaper Clippings in relation to my family history. These have come from both microfilmed and digitized newspapers I've searched over the past 25 years. Click to enlarge any clipping.



Weddings 

Long, descriptive wedding write-ups WITH photos were popular a few decades ago. My parents wedding article is 13 paragraphs long, with descriptions of the gowns for the bride (ceremony and traveling attire), attendants, candlelighters, and both Mothers. It described the decorations in the sanctuary, the music and the reception was detailed as to who served what, who attended to gifts and the guestbook, and the out-of-town guests. Also included was a paragraph of my parents' education and military service and their current occupations.

I have wedding articles of many other aunts & uncles as well as cousins. Most involve living people so I'm not providing a clipping here, but you should definitely look for the wedding write-ups of your ancestors.



Columbus [NE] Journal, May 4, 1910

Wrong guy

When a guy has a common name, it's inevitable that you might find some newspaper articles about a person with that name that turns out to be the wrong guy. Fortunately, in this case, it happened to me. I was so afraid this was MY John McGrath, that I tracked down his State Penetentiary file at the Nebraska State Historical Society. To my relief, I knew this was not MY John McGrath when I saw this man had two sons in Australia at that time. I wrote more about that here. If anyone is looking for this John McGrath, I have some copies to share.



Wolves

Just for fun I can include this clipping here. I think John McGrath was expecting a little more than just a thanks for his work in protecting the local chicken coops. 


Henry [IL] Republican, May 11, 1876


Whatever else you can think of that you might find in old newspapers, you should go for it. Good luck with your search!



2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it was a wedding write-up that was the undoing of one of my "cousins" who turned out not to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some subjects were worth more than one letter. Thanks, Wendy

      Delete