Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Newspaper Clippings ~ H


This post is part of a series for the April Blogging from A to Z Blogging Challenge. My theme is Newspaper Clippings in relation to my family history. These have come from both microfilmed and digitized newspapers I've searched over the past 25 years. Click to enlarge any clipping.



Homestead 

Homestead claims were advertised in newspapers prior to making final proof. This clipping was in the homestead application file for John McGrath, I haven't looked in the Cozad paper for this, its only available on microfilm at the Nebraska State Historical Society Library in Lincoln. The certificate of publication states that it was "first published in said newspaper in its issue dated the 22nd of Mch 1895, and was published in each weekly issue of said newspaper thereafter for the full period of thirty days..." .
Cozad [NE] Tribune, March 22, 1895 weekly through April 26, 1895

Hospital patients in pre-HIPPA days, were noted in the local papers, occasionally even with the reason for their stay. Clarence Mann was 90 years old in August of 1968 when he had some surgery. He died in October of a ruptured left ventricle in his heart. 
Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, August 11, 1968

Cora Mann, listed as Mrs. Clarence Mann, was admitted to the hospital in March of 1967. I've found her dismissal in the May 1, 1967 issue of the Beatrice Daily Sun. Unless there were other listings in between that a search hasn't picked up, this was likely when she lost her second leg to diabetes. 
Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, March 15, 1967

This clipping mentioning my Grand Uncle Virg McGrath is from April 26,1946, just a few months after his release from serving four years in World War II. Many years later, once or twice I drove him to or picked him up from the same Lincoln hospital where he had surgery for lung cancer. 
Aurora [NE] News-Register, April 26, 1946

A few of my clippings mention family members who were being recognized for an honor of some kind (sometimes with their name in the headlines). One mid-1800's Illinois newspaper I searched hoping to find a marriage record, listed them under the heading "Hymenial".  I didn't find what I wanted, but I have posted the others in different "Newspaper Clippings" here in the past. What historic information can you find relating to your heritage?  Good luck with your search!



10 comments:

  1. I've used library microfilm to find photos in newspapers from when I was a kid. I love the machines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind using them at all, but when I can do a search for a name, I can find things I would never have expected to find. Thanks, Lisa

      Delete
  2. Wow - it's amazing that you could find so many newspaper clippings about your family to do this challenge! That is very impressive!!

    Giggling Fattie
    www.noloveforfatties.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking for a long time. Thanks for looking at my blog and I've enjoyed your cute stories!

      Delete
  3. I have at least one hospital stay for a tonsillectomy, a few honors; my preacher ancestor was in the paper all the time marrying someone or conducting a funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preachers (and teachers) are "Rock Stars", as someone else called them in comments on an earlier post of mine. Thanks Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have donations to the hospital. Often it is just initials and surname so better when you have a less common surname so it is probably an ancestor that donated. Really enjoying your posts. Sorry about the delay in commenting. I like to leave each time I read a post but was having problems comments on other blogs so had to step back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read blogs during the day, but don't have the ability to comment (logged in) on them until the evening, so no problem. I appreciate your comment & interest!

      Delete