Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Newspaper Clippings ~ I


This post is part of a series for the April Blogging from A to Z Blogging Challenge. My theme is Newspaper Clippings in relation to my family history. These have come from both microfilmed and digitized newspapers I've searched over the past 25 years. Click to enlarge any clipping.


Illness 

Illness is something newsworthy, especially when it's contagious. Though this kind of news is rarely written about in newspapers in the same way today, it was often a part of the local news in the old days naming the families affected to warn the neighborhood of the threat. 




James Gaisford survived this bout of rheumatism and lived another two years. He was actually 85 years old at the time of this clipping.
Bloomington (IL) Weekly Pantagraph, April 17, 1903

Henry Menke may have improved some from this attack of paralysis, but he died four months later on September 20, 1915. It appears he likely had a stroke. His death certificate is apparently missing from the State Vital Records office. 
Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, May 20, 1915

Frank Roscoe died of typhoid fever on May 16, just over 2 weeks after this appeared in the paper.  
DeWitt  [NE] Times-News, April 27, 1923

Oliver Roscoe died in the influenza pandemic of 1918-19. He wasn't the only person in my family tree who did, but the only mention of anyone that I've found yet. 
DeWitt [NE] Times-News, January 2, 1919


If your ancestors had a serious injury or illness, you may find it mentioned in the paper. It isn't always easy to find, but it's not impossible if you try. Good luck with your search! 



6 comments:

  1. I wonder how many people poor Oscar Roscoe infected with the flu on his way home after being mustered out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found several clippings about a great aunt who went to the insane asylum after having typhoid as a teen. Before that, I never knew that typhoid could cause mental problems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that either. I guess there was some sort of lasting effect.

      Delete
  3. Small town social columns are fun to read. My husband made the local news when he visited his parents over the weekend while "away at college." That was maybe a 20-minute drive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have many more of those coming up. They printed all sorts of details on the neighborhood in those.

      Delete