Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Newspaper Clippings ~ T


This post is part of a series for the April Blogging from A to Z Blogging Challenge. My theme is Newspaper Clippings in relation to my family history. These have come from both microfilmed and digitized newspapers I've searched over the past 25 years. Click to enlarge any clipping.




Tragedies

Tragedies happen in every family unfortunately. Sometimes, too many in one.



Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, April 25, 1914







I had been searching for Charles Roscoe, my Great Grandmother Lottie (Roscoe) Menke's brother, in census records for years with no luck after 1910. And then I found this in the paper. He was 23 years old.  















Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, June 29, 1961

















Forty seven years later, another brother, Cleve, was killed in a traffic accident. The sons of William and Lena Roscoe were Cleve who died in this accident; Charles of suicide; Frank of Typhoid fever; Oliver of pneumonia developed from the influenza pandemic; Cecil who died of pneumonia at age 5 in 1906; and David Harlow who lived to be 51 with special needs. 




Lottie (Roscoe) Menke and her husband Albert lost one son in 1939. 
Nebraska State Journal, June 20, 1939


No one wants to have these kinds of tragedies happen, but if they are in your family history, you want to know. Good luck with your search.



4 comments:

  1. Yep, plenty of those, including 2 young children hit by a train, several falls while working for the railroad that led to death, drownings in a flood, shall I go on? Typical of the times, the reports are quite graphic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those railroad accidents can be horrific. I'm going to somewhat double dip on this subject yet before the challenge is over. We're nearly through!

      Delete
  2. I imagine there are tragedies in most every families past. My family research has reveled plenty of them. For me, learning about them today is as heartbreaking as it must have been for my family back then. But you are right...it is better to know than not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it can be as hard to read their tragedies as if they just happened. Knowing what happened isn't easy, but completes the story.

      Delete