Saturday, April 27, 2019

Newspaper Clippings ~ X


This post is part of a series for the April Blogging from A to Z Blogging Challenge. My theme is Newspaper Clippings in relation to my family history. These have come from both microfilmed and digitized newspapers I've searched over the past 25 years. Click to enlarge any clipping.



eXcitement 

Everybody cheats a little for X, so I'm won't be an exception. I'm excited to be at this point in this challenge! As for my ancestors, I can't really speak for how excited they ever got about things, but I've found these few newspaper clippings and I think these events probably got their blood pressure up a bit. 


Kansas City [MO] Star, September 8, 1924


Cleve Roscoe must have been a little excited chasing a thief from a box car in the Armstrong railyards in Kansas City. Not to mention how his wife of three years, Jo, must have felt. He was shot at close range in the line of duty. It seems he didn't speak about this much as I don't think anyone in my family seemed to know about it. My Dad knew him well. Apparently, it healed well and didn't cause a limp.



Cozad Tribune, May 29, 1896


Another shooting involved my Great Grandfather Art McGrath, but in this case he wasn't the one shot. He ran for help for his friend. I've posted this article before








Henry [IL] Republican, August 21, 1884

That wasn't the only incident involving a wagon, a team of horses and a McGrath. Years before that, Art's father John had some excitement in Illinois. Seems the Cornet band caused John's horses to get excited. 







And if that wasn't enough bad luck for my Irishman, in 1892 John was a victim of a prairie fire on his farm in Dawson County, Nebraska.
Cozad News Reporter, May 14, 1892


You may not find EXACTLY what you want to find in old newspapers, but with each search you might find something unexpected. Good luck with your search!



4 comments:

  1. Oh these are good! This is my FIRST year NOT cheating with X. I used a real word this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that you did! I liked when I would put together posts for a letter and found so many relating to just one branch of the family. Especially in this case.

      Delete
  2. When it gets down to the XYZ it's a 'what ever works' kind of thing. So, yep, eXcitement over shootings, runaway wagon and prairie fires makes the grade for 'X'. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. It's nice that there are no rules to this thing. LOL

      Delete