Saturday, April 20, 2019

Newspaper Clippings ~ R


This post is part of a series for the April Blogging from A to Z Blogging Challenge. My theme is Newspaper Clippings in relation to my family history. These have come from both microfilmed and digitized newspapers I've searched over the past 25 years. Click to enlarge any clipping.




Reunions 


Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, June 23, 1931










Family reunions, school reunions, any other types of reunions may be advertised in advance in the newspaper. Sometimes an article will appear in the paper after the event.  

This Family Reunion was a part of the Ellis news column of the Beatrice Daily Sun. "Grandma Gaisford" is my Second Great Grandmother, the others present were her children and their families. I can account for everyone listed here in my family tree software. This is Cora Mann's side of the family...







Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, August 9,1931

Clarence Mann's side held a reunion for his side of the family in August of the same year. My Grandma Doris listed here was 11 years old at the time. 











Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, July 25, 1932





Another generation back in the Gaisford family, this shows a brother of my Second Great Grandfather Charles Gaisford from Iowa came to visit in 1932. Charles and Henrietta  were both deceased at this time. It would have been mostly the first cousins who honored their Uncle Gene Gaisford, his wife and daughter.








The last line of this clipping says "The family are quite widely scattered, but hope for more pleasant reunions in the years to come". This year will be the 120th annual Mann Family picnic. 
Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, October 3,1933

Reunions can happen in a different way through social media today. Family groups can be created in Facebook which can be a great way to keep everyone in contact with each other.

Red Cross Auxiliary activities and blood donors are often noted in the paper, and I have some clippings that mention people in my tree. I'm sure there are other relative subjects you can think of to look for in newspapers. Good luck with your search! 




5 comments:

  1. How about RECITALS? I have a couple reunion articles complete with names of everyone who attended. Reading other blogs, I am surprised that so many families included a business meeting, had officers, and sometimes included a program with RECITATIONS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recitals is a good word, tho I don't think my daughter's made the paper. Some families go all out, don't they? Are those usually the lines with ties to Mayflower or other colonial ties?

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of reunions, especially the surprise kind where families members meet unexpectedly not knowing they are related.

    I have not thought families would advertise family events, I guess since people advertise weddings, why not family events?

    thank you for your visit to my blog, have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lissa, for checking mine out! Just over a week to go for the #AtoZChallenge!

      Delete