Thursday, April 18, 2019

Newspaper Clippings ~ P


This post is part of a series for the April Blogging from A to Z Blogging Challenge. My theme is Newspaper Clippings in relation to my family history. These have come from both microfilmed and digitized newspapers I've searched over the past 25 years. Click to enlarge any clipping.




Photographs

Finding photographs of ancestors in old newspapers is so cool!  Especially if you've never seen a picture of that person before. The quality of the photo is much better from a digitized paper, they don't copy well from microfilm. 



Leon [IA] Reporter, November 30, 1916




David F. Negley is my Second Great Grandfather's brother. I found this photo of him searching online at Chronicling America and I had not ever seen him a picture of him before. He looks a lot like his brother Josiah. This is an advertisement for Dr Weber's services, I assume David approved this message. I know very little about him, but it looks like he was blind - or so it says here. Was it "blind" or just poor eyesight? 

























Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, March 1, 1945




My Grandpa's brother Clarence had his photo in the paper while he was serving in WWII for receiving the Purple Heart. He looks so young. 



















Property Transfers and Deeds

Listings of changes in property ownership are often in local newspapers. These give legal description information and name both buyer and seller which can help in finding the actual deeds.  
Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, June 8, 1950

People post photos to social media all the time, but remember that due to copyright restrictions you should not post someone else's photo to any online family tree without permission. 


I also have clippings of family members listed as Pallbearers in obituaries of both family members and friends. You can probably think of other newspaper clippings you could possibly file under "P". Good luck with your search! 



4 comments:

  1. I found a photo of my grandfather showing off his catch from a fishing trip. Others named in the photo and article helped me identify men in a small stack of photos. That was a good find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that WAS a great find! I'm sure he was very proud of his catch. Can't get away with any fish tales if the picture is in the paper!

      Delete
  2. I'd love to find photos of ancestors in old newspapers! Presumably, my relatives who served in the world wars might be lauded in local newspapers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're able to find photos sometime. Photos of soldiers were often in the paper. Good luck!

      Delete