Monday, April 22, 2019

Newspaper Clippings ~ S


This post is part of a series for the April Blogging from A to Z Blogging Challenge. My theme is Newspaper Clippings in relation to my family history. These have come from both microfilmed and digitized newspapers I've searched over the past 25 years. Click to enlarge any clipping.




Sports and School activities

These two "S" words are simultaneously a part of my collection of newspaper clippings. The sports section of the paper is probably the most read section at my house. 
Aurora News Register, September 17, 1925









Aurora News Register, December 3, 1925















My maternal Grandpa Stan Bell appeared to be a promising athlete when he moved from Kansas to Nebraska. He played both football, basketball in high school, which I didn't know about him until I found these clippings. He played baseball, too, in the summer. I've heard he pitched a no-hitter once, but I haven't been able to find that in any paper yet. It's there somewhere, I've heard he carried that clipping with him in his wallet.




Aurora News Register, April 17, 1931
My Grand Uncle Orville was in the Junior Class play in Aurora. He "was very good" according to this review. This is a fun clipping to have about him, I only vaguely remember him. He married, but they had no children. 

The Aurora newspapers are digitized, but only available at the public library there. Making the time to go doesn't happen as often as I would like. I'm sure I have much more to find there yet. 







Crete News, April 1, 1926










This news from District 66 in Saline County includes my paternal Grandpa Kenneth Menke and his siblings. It says his family moved into the district "by the end of the second month of school" and have moved away by this time which must have been late March. Grandpa is a first-grader here. I wish there was a photo! 








Many schools have Facebook pages or groups to keep an eye on the activities going on there. Facebook pages can easily be kept up-to-date for event changes and other information. 

The majority of my newspaper clippings of sports and school events are about three generations of living family members. Articles about cheerleading and sports of all kinds, music programs, and academics, involving family members fill a scrapbook or two. You can be successful searching for your ancestors stories in school and sports news if you try. Good luck with your search!



8 comments:

  1. For S today I posted a newspaper article about a cousin being SHOT. I have a few about my grandmother SINGING. Some from the 1960s about the freedom STRUGGLES. And a few add about SLAVE SALES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good S words, Kristin. We're in the final stretch of this challenge. I'll be on vacation for the last few days, my posts are scheduled but I might get behind reading others.

      Delete
  2. I haven’t found anyone in sports but have found a distant relative in a school play. In the future, though, my descendants might find my daughters in the paper for their participation in sports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much more school activities are written about in our local papers than what there used to be. Band, well not so much. Not individually anyway. Thanks Wendy

      Delete
  3. Neat finds. Several members of my family love doing this sort of thing. I wonder what they have found ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to check with them. It can be very interesting!

      Delete
  4. A perfect newspaper section for Letter 'S'. A big one for my own scrapbook filled with basketball, volleyball and other sports clippings and pictures I both played and coached. Collect them now for grandkids sports activities, and yes, it is nice to be able to go to Facebook for the most recent pictures.
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Facebook is great for grandparents that can follow their grandkids activities in far away schools. If I actually filed clippings this way, S would need a very big folder. Thanks Sue

      Delete