Friday, April 12, 2019

Newspaper Clippings ~ K


This post is part of a series for the April Blogging from A to Z Blogging Challenge. My theme is Newspaper Clippings in relation to my family history. These have come from both microfilmed and digitized newspapers I've searched over the past 25 years. Click to enlarge any clipping.




Kidnapped 
Kansas City [MO] Star, August 19, 1928








I'm not kidding! I found an article about an ancestor who had been kidnapped. I knew my Great Grandmother's brother, Cleve Roscoe, had been a police officer in Kansas City.  Through a subscription site, I could access the Kansas City Star for the right time period so I did a quick search. I was very surprised to find this article about a young man on a robbery spree. I knew it ended well for Cleve, but  I was surprised no one in my family seemed to have heard about this before. "C. C. Roscoe"  was a "special officer for the Wabash railroad" and wasn't injured in this incident. It may not have been one of his proudest moments, though. Cleve wasn't involved in the capture ("as bullets fly") of this young man. 



Kittenball

My Grandma and her sisters played Kittenball for their hometown of Ellis in the 1930's. I haven't found an article that mentions their names, but I know that she might have been on the team in these articles that I have found. These might also be about the boys team, though, it doesn't say. 

Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, June 28, 1934

Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, May 20, 1936


Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, November 3, 1936



Current Local, [Van Buren, MO] June 6, 1902

Knights of Pythias

This is only part of an article about a Decoration Day ceremony in 1902. The entire article is very long so I cropped it. It sounds like Prof. Henry Menke and Honorable A S J Lehr had a debate going on. What I like best in this article is where it states "Menke read an original poem". I want to know who wrote that "original" poem.  Rev. Henry Menke, my Great Grandfather's brother, was the pastor of the Congregational church in Grandin, Missouri. His name was in the Current Local of Van Buren a few times in just a few years, both with his church and with the Knights of Pythias. 
















Around here they hold Kindergarten graduations and I have articles from the local paper mentioning my family members who had ceremonies. Knowledge of the local area will help you find your ancestors in papers you might not expect. You can keep your ancestors' memories alive if you eke their stories from the caverns of old newspapers. Good luck with your search!





9 comments:

  1. It is really inspiring to see all your clippings and the stories behind them. I will definitely come back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kindergarten graduation made the paper, but I can safely say I have no kittenball or kidnapping stories in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A kidnapping clipping is not something you normally come across in your reading. And for it to be about your family! About the Kittenball, I have a question. With team names likes Longhorns and Smokehouse, was this in Texas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, those teams were here in Nebraska. I guess dairy cattle just don't seem to be mascot-type animals. Thanks, Diane

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of kittenball.
    The articles are interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dianne. Kittenball was new to me until just a couple of years ago.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on locating such varied articles relating to your family. K is a challenge! I had not noticed 'kittenball' players before. I just took a quick look and see a few newspaper mentions from the 1920s here in Canada. Haven't seen any family players yet. But I will keep an eye out. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad this helped you! I didn't find articles that mentioned the kittenball players much either, but I do know the team that my Grandma and her sisters played on.

      Delete