Thursday, April 25, 2019

Newspaper Clippings ~ V


This post is part of a series for the April Blogging from A to Z Blogging Challenge. My theme is Newspaper Clippings in relation to my family history. These have come from both microfilmed and digitized newspapers I've searched over the past 25 years. Click to enlarge any clipping.




Visits 

An unbelieveable amount of visits! Some that seem silly when you know it was just the neighbors who came for dinner. Other times there can be something noted that actually helps with family history. I mentioned in "Q" the mysterious Granddaughter who was visiting from Missouri. In "F" there were funeral attendees, likely relatives, from out of state noted. Birthday, Anniversary and other celebrations will mention people who came a distance, often stating their relationship.


I like to see that when a family member moves away from where they grew up - like several states away - that either someone ventures out to visit them, or they get back home again. Like this clipping from the Portsmouth Daily Times, with Henry Menke Jr going back home after twenty-eight years. "The Westerner had changed so much that his Ohio brother failed to recognize him". 
Portsmouth [OH] Daily Times, July 9, 1898

This clipping gives quite a bit of information on the Negley brothers - residences, relationship, even some news of their health. John Calvin died a little over a year later. This may have been their last visit.
Leon [IA] Reporter, October 7, 1915

It mentions some people in the clipping below that I need to find out more about.  Henrietta Gaisford left two sisters back in Massachusetts and I would like to know that they saw each other again at some point in their lives. The woman "of Newark" is not a sister, but I need to see if she could be a niece. This visit was just a week before Henrietta's death and in the paper the day before.
Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, May 22, 1932

Occasionally, newspapers make mistakes. This clipping from September, 1920 says "Mr and Mrs Chas Gaisford", but Mr Chas Gaisford had died in January. I'm sure he went along in spirit when Henrietta and others in her family traveled to Oklahoma to visit her son Charles there.


Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, September 21,1920


Cicero Bell had all sons. These visitors from Kansas are all females. And not relatives.  Interesting. I wonder how old they were. My Grandpa was 26. And single.
Giltner [NE] Gazette, May 11, 1933

In April, 1938 Grandpa has my [future] Grandma with him at a family dinner. When I have a chance, I will try to see if this was the first time she went to one of them. This was five months before they were married.
Aurora [NE] News-Register, April 19, 1938



Very few visi - ok, no visits like this appear in the papers now. Maybe people don't even visit like this anymore. But virtual visits with old friends and relatives are possible with social media. My 95 year-old Grandma was amazed by the Skype visit with my sister we set up for her a few years ago.

Veterans are mentioned in newspapers, especially around Memorial Day or Veteran's Day. You may find them in again and again. See what you can unveil about your family. Good luck with your search!



4 comments:

  1. I can’t imagine not seeing family for 28 years. I wonder what thoughts my ancestors had when they left Virginia to be among the earliest settlers in the Northwest territory, and when my Irish ancestors left home to try their luck in America. I’m sure they never entertained the thought of visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wonder about the separation of families. I've never been fortunate to find letters between separated relatives. I'm sure there were some.

      Delete
  2. I think people do still visit like this. At least the older people in the family do. It gets reported on facebook instead of in the news though and so will probably remain a secret from future generations. My brother-in-law is coming for a visit next week. It's been about a year since his last visit, so it will be reported on fb.
    I love those old clipping of visitors coming and going, sometimes with new babies to visit their parents. They can be helpful in creating the family timeline of who let where and went where.

    www.findingeliza.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's still great to get together with family. It's hard sometimes with schedules, though. Social media is great to help with keeping in touch. I love these clippings, too.

      Delete