Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Treasure Chest Thursday - Laura Kyle's quilt

Laura May Roscoe was the first of 8 children born to William and Lena Roscoe.  She outlived them all reaching the age of 98.  She married Joseph W. Kyle in 1901 and they moved to Manitoba, Canada soon after where they spent the rest of their lives.  Their children were Gertrude, Merle, Glen, Gordon, Orval, Reginald, and Dorothy. 

My Grandma gave me this beautiful crazy quilt that was made by Laura May Kyle.  It's a treasure from her old trunk in the attic, but that is certainly not where I keep it.  It hangs in my living room on the quilt rack that my Grandpa made. 

I think this is hand-stitched, at least some of it.

I love family heirlooms like this!

2 comments:

  1. Treasure, indeed! Lucky you to own this wonderful quilt. I love the inventiveness of quilters who lived in the early and mid-1900s. Thanks for sharing this beauty, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy, I do appreciate the value of this one! I wish I knew how old it was, I'm guessing sometime since the 1950's.

      Delete