Sunday, August 5, 2018

A Transcription Challenge


Kennebec County, Maine Deed #00220532-2
On September 11, 1816, in Kennebec County, Maine Libbeus Simmons sold 80.5 acres to Robert H. Gardiner and Reuel Williams of Augusta for $165.85. Some key words aren't clear to me in that mess, so I'm not sure if this was paid in one lump sum or five equal payments. It states this was where Libbeus lived which I've always heard was "twenty five mile pond near Unity".  In 1816 Libbeus Sr would have been about 67 years old, he died nineteen years later in 1835. Three years after this deed, Libbeus Sr sells another 80 acres of the twenty five mile plantation to Lebbeus Jr. They are my Fifth and Fourth Great Grandfathers.

The description of the land reads "a certain lot of land in said twenty five mile pond plantation being lot numbered twenty on a plan of the gore lying between the Ballard line and the east end of the fifteen mile lots east of Kennebec River..."  Kennebec county is in the southern part of Maine, Augusta is the county seat as well as the state capital. The Kennebec River runs north and south through Augusta and approximately 10 miles west of Unity, which is about 30 miles northeast of Augusta. 

The two assignments written on the right-hand side are: 
On April 15, 1817  Reuel Williams sells his share to Robert Hallowell Gardiner
On March 1, 1827  Robert H Gardiner sells to James Parker, who in 1813 married the youngest daughter of Libbeus Simmons Sr.

Kennebec County has deeds available online. This was very difficult to read, but I've transcribed as much of it as I can.


Know all men by these presents that <I, Libbeus Simmons of the
twenty
five mile pond plantation in the county of Kennebec yeoman>
in consideration of <one hundred sixty five dollars and eighty five cents paid by Robert
H. Gardiner of Gardiner and Reuel Williams of Augusta in said county ?>
(the receipt whereof I do hereby acknowledge) do hereby give, grant
sell, and convey unto the said <Gardiner and Williams a certain lot of land in said twenty
five mile pond plantation being lot numbered twenty on a plan of the gore lying
between the Ballard line and the east end of the fifteen mile lots east of Kennebec
River made by Charley Hayden esq. Surveyor containing eighty acres and one half
more or less on which I now live>

To have and to hold the <aforegranted premises to the said Gardiner & Williams their>
heirs and assigns, to <their> use and <behoof> forever. And <I>
do covenant with the said <Gardiner and Williams their> heirs and assigns
that <I am> lawfully seized in fee of the <aforegranted premises> that they are free of all
incumbrances that <I> have good right to sell and convey the same to
the said <Gardiner and Williams> and that <I> will warrant and defend the same <premises>
to the said <Gardiner and Williams their> heirs and assigns, forever agains the lawful claims and
demands of <all> persons.

Provided nevertheless <that if the said Simmons his heirs, executors, or administrators ?
to the said Gardiner & Williams their heirs executors administrators or assigns the sum of one
hundred sixty five dollars and eighty five cents in five equal annual payments with
interest accordig to his five promisary notes therefore then this deed avail ?
five notes bearing even date with these presents given by the said Simmons to the
said Gardiner and Williams promising to pay the same sum & interest at the time aforesaid
? shall all be void otherwise shall remain in full force.>


In Witness whereof, <I> the said <Libbeus Simmons>
have hereunto set my hand and seal this tenth day of September in the
year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixteen.
Signed sealed and delivered in presence of us <Libbeus Simmons Daniel Whitmore>
<Kennebec> ss, <Sept. 11, 1816>  Then the above named
<Libbeus Simmons>
acknowledged <the above> instrument by     subscribed to be <his>
deed before me
<Daniel Whitmore>  Justice of Peace

<KENNEBEC> ss. Received <Sept. 16, 1816> entered and comopared with the original, by
<John Hovey, Registrar>



Written on the right side:

Know all men that I Reuel Williams within named in consideration of eighty two dollars ninety cents paid me by Robert Hallowell Gardiner within named the receipt whereof I do hereby acknowledge, do hereby sell transfer assign & set over to him the said Gardiner, all my right title & interest I demand in and ? the premises within described - To have and to hold the same to sd Gardiner his heirs and assigns forever in the same region? as he & I held the same favor to this transfer. To have and to hold the same to said Gardiner his heirs and assigns forever. In witness whereof I the said Williams have herein set my hand & seal this thirty first day of December whereas A. D. 1816
Done in presence of Fred McAllen, Reuel Williams  {seal} Kennebec ? April 15th 1817 personally appeared Reuel Williams Esq and acknowledged the foregoing assignment, by him figured to be his free act and deed before me Fred K. Allen, Jus Peace - Kennebec
Rec'd Apl 9, 1817 entered and compared with the original by Jno Hovey Reg

Second assignment

Know all men by these presents that I Robert Hallowell Gardiner of Gardiner in the County of Kennebec Esquire in consideration of one hundred and twelve dollars 16 cents to me paid by James Parker of Troy in said county yeoman the receipt whereof I do hereby acknowledge do hereby transfer assign and make over to sd James Parker the written mortgage deed granting him thereby all the right title and interest I have in and to the same both as original joint ? with Reuel Williams by within named and as assignee of said Williams, To have and to hold the same to the said Parker his heirs and assigns forever. In witness whereof I the said Robert Hallowell Gardiner have herein ?set my? hand and seal this 1st day of March? A. D. 1827. Robert H Gardiner  {seal}  signed sealed and delivered in free ?  Henry B. Haskew Kennebec J. Peace, April 9th 1827 Xcrossed outX

then the above named Robt H Gardiner personally appeared and acknowledged the foregoing assignment his free act or deed before me Soloman Adams Justice of Peace Kennebec Jr Rec'd April 9, 1827 entered and compared with the original by John Hovey, Reg

2 comments:

  1. You may want to consider sharing the entry with the "Deciphering Genealogy Script" group on Facebook, and crowd source translations for the illegible words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll have to try that. I dont' think I'm in that group yet, sounds like a good one.

      Delete