Friday, April 19, 2019

Newspaper Clippings ~ Q


This post is part of a series for the April Blogging from A to Z Blogging Challenge. My theme is Newspaper Clippings in relation to my family history. These have come from both microfilmed and digitized newspapers I've searched over the past 25 years. Click to enlarge any clipping.



Questions

News articles are supposed to answer all the questions - Who, What, Where, When, How and Why. When you find a record referring to an ancestor, it leads to more questions.  It's the same with newspaper articles, sometimes more so than others.





Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, August 20, 1941

Before I found this clipping, I thought the only children of Will and Lena Roscoe to give them grandchildren were their daughters. No one would have the Roscoe surname. So my question was WHO is Frankie Mae Roscoe? Clearly she is a granddaughter, but who's daughter is she? My first guess was their son Frank for obvious reasons, but as far as I knew Frank died single. He was single in the 1920 census, and died in 1923. 

So when I found his obituary I learned that he "was survived by a wife". But WHAT was her NAME? There was no mention of a daughter, so I theorized that his wife was pregnant when he died. Miss Frankie Mae Roscoe would have been about 18 years old when she visited her grandparents in 1941. Frank's obituary appeared in the May 24, 1923 edition of the DeWitt Times-News. In the next week's edition, I found this little note in the social news column. This must be Frank's wife, but I haven't been able to confirm that.


DeWitt [NE] Times-News, May 31, 1923

I have some possible suspects in Missouri, but I still have questions about these women. 


Quotes by an ancestor are fun to find. My Great Grandparents Clarence and Cora Mann were both quoted in an article written about their 69 years together. "We're a very close family." she said, and that was so true. Great Grandpa's comment tickles me, "Funny how you remember some things, like the macaroni we had in a restaurant then. Neither of us had ever eaten it before, and we couldn't decide whether we liked it or not."  It must have come from my Great Grandma that I got my knack of remembering birthdays. Here she says, "I can call off the name and age of every grandchild [39 of them], also the month, but I sometimes miss the exact date."  

Lincoln [NE] Sunday Journal and Star, July 28, 1968

Quarantine  is a word that's not good to see, but it happened often enough. Clarence & Cora Mann's family suffered and everyone came through all right. My Grandma would have been 4-1/2 years old when possibly scarlet fever hit the family. 
Beatrice [NE] Daily Sun, December 17, 1924

Among my living family members, we've had Queen candidates for local events who got some attention in the newspaper. Are there questions about your ancestors you could find answers to in old newspapers? Good luck in your search!



2 comments:

  1. Interesting story about Frankie. I like when a newspaper alerts me to a person I didn't know existed. Goodie - another puzzle.

    My mother's second cousins loaned me their scrapbook of photos and newspaper clippings about their family. Their grandmother was my great-grandmother's sister. A news article about their grandmother's 50th anniversary included a quote attributed to HER father (my 2X great-grandfather). It is rather thrilling to get a sense of a person's personality that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! It's so cool to see quotes - their own words. Similar to their handwriting. As for Frankie Mae, I haven't decided how to approach the subject with her possible descendants yet.

      Delete