Sunday, May 26, 2019

Three Spann Graves


On the side of a hill behind someone's house is the Spann Cemetery, not to be confused with the Spann HILL Cemetery, both in rural Wayne County, Kentucky. I've heard this cemetery has been cleaned up and fenced. It was terribly overgrown when I was there twenty-three years ago. The tombstones for Benjamin Franklin Spann and his wife Mary "Hiley" Ann Decker are all lying down there. Their daughter Allie Lucinda Spann is my Great Grandma.

Fortunately for me these fell with the inscription side up.  It baffles me why there are two tombstones for Hiley Ann, but they are inscribed exactly the same, just with a different style letters. I have video of these which shows how near they are to each other. I did not try to flip them to see if something else was inscribed on the other side. Ben had a second wife who might also be buried in this cemetery, and I just wonder if somehow one of Hiley's stones was supposed to be for her. 

Ben and Hiley had 10 children. Their daughter Polly Spann is buried in the same cemetery. The others lie in other parts of Kentucky, Tennessee, Illinois and Nebraska. One daughter's grave is unknown to me yet. 



BENJAMIN SPANN
BORN
OCT  --  1827
DIED
DEC 15, 1901



HILEY DECKOR
WIFE OF
BENJAMIN SPANN
BORN
SEPT 26, 1838
DIED
JULY 1, 1884



HILEY DECKOR
Wife of
Benjamin Spann
BORN
Sept. 26, 1936
DIED
July 1, 1884

Ben's parents are Hartwell "Jack" and Mary Spann. Hiley Ann's parents are Abner & Nancy Deckor. I don't know the location of their graves. Mary Spann died before 1879, likely in Williamson County, Tennessee. The other three would likely be somewhere in Wayne County, Kentucky.  




2 comments:

  1. That is strange that there are two stones for the same person. I wonder if one was lost for awhile, replaced and then showed up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can come up with several ideas for the reason, but no way of finding out for sure. Thanks Kristin.

      Delete