Sunday, August 18, 2019

Mann Family Tombstones Set Upright


When I first found William and Nancy Mann's grave, it was disappointing to find their tombstones lying on the ground. But it was fortunate that they were lying with the inscriptions facing up. This was in 2003, and word spread through the family and a couple of years ago the stones were set back upright. Even their son Lafayette's stone on the left was reset. 

Kilpatrick Cemetery is just a small country cemetery, pretty much abandonded. There is a pile of broken tombstones in one corner. After my family reset the Mann stones, I've heard it has been taken care of a little better. It's on the corner of 722 and 581 roads in rural Jefferson county. I've been back a few times and always forget exactly where it is. It's about 20 miles north of the Prairie Home cemetery where their son and my Great Grandpa Clarence Mann lies.


Picture I took in 2003


Picture I took in 2018
Nancy's inscription:  
Nancy
Wife of
Wm. Mann
DIED
Feb. 19, 1894
AGED 55 YRS
11 Ms & 1 DAY

We cannot tell who next may fall
Beneath thy christning rod
One must be first but let us all
Prepare to meet our God

William's inscription:
William

Mann

Born 

Feb. 12, 1830

Died

Aug. 29, 1905

Aged

75 Yrs 6 Mos

17 Days

Christ is my hope

Four young children of William and Nancy died in Illinois before they moved away, then Lafayette died at age 17 not long after moving to Nebraska. There were 12 children in all. The other seven children's final resting places are in Iowa, California, Kansas and Nebraska.

As far as I know, William's parents remained in England and would be buried there. I have no idea yet who they are, but someone has named them on the Family Search tree. They have not responded to my request for more information about that.

Nancy's mother's grave is in Bonaparte, Iowa. I was able to visit that a few years ago. 




2 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful stones, Laura. Kudos to you for leading the charge to have them set upright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are still in great shape and the inscription still legible! Thanks, Michael

      Delete