Sunday, November 3, 2019

Sadie's Lost Ring


"The Charmed Life is a life of loving companionship with the One altogether lovely. We, the wearers of the Ring, have said, "I am His." We can live in true companionship with any one only as we love; but as our love for one grows, the wish to be near him grows; and the more we love, the closer we are drawn."

That is the Introduction printed in the first pamphlet titled "The Charmed Life", by David C Cook, Chicago, Illinois.


Among a box of things in the Old Trunk in the Attic was an envelope addressed "Sadie Negley, Eldorado, Clay County, Nebr, Box 29" with a 2 cent stamp. The torn envelope is about 4-1/2" x 6", and the papers tucked into it all fit perfectly. As far as I can tell, everything that I have in this little envelope is what was originally sent to Sadie. Except for one thing. 

Inside the cover of the first booklet is "I. A. H. BIRTHDAY REMEMBRANCE. I placed the I. A. H. Ring on my finger for the first time: Date _____". The handwritten date of "August 1st, 1902" is filled in the blank, I assume by Sadie.  That's over 117 years ago! "I. A. H." stands for "I Am His." There is a smaller envelope with "Directions for putting on the ring", but there is no Ring.

Included in the packet is two numbered letters, three little booklets titled "The Charmed Life" full of daily devotions, and four smaller pamphlets. Mr Cook's instructions are to read only one letter per day. 


It's all printed in a very small font and hard on my eyes to read. From what I've learned from the contents, Sadie spent 25 cents to get this packet of literature. On the back of Volume I is Sadie's Membership No. "190441". (It's crazy to me how close that number is to including the exact same numbers in a different order as my DAR Membership number). 

In 1902, Sadie was a 22 year old single woman. She had been a member of the Eldorado Methodist Episcopal church likely most of her life. She may have been a Sunday School teacher and used this literature for her lessons. The daily devotions are aimed at older children or young adults and provide encouragement to deal with life's ups and downs with a strong Christian faith. It also attempts to entice the reader to purchase more literature and other items as well as strong suggestions to invite others to "join the Circle".  

David C Cook established his company in 1875 providing Sunday School cirriculum for children's ministries. The company is still in operation today out of Colorado Springs, Colorado, and their publications are distributed world-wide.

I don't know if this is a collectors item, but other than the envelope and a torn page or two it's all in pretty good shape. It almost looks as if Sadie hardly read it. Her ring was most likely lost a long time ago.




4 comments:

  1. The covers of the booklets are just beautiful. They remind me of old-fashioned postcards. Have you researched this organization any more and do you know what the ring might have looked like? It would be interesting to see one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Nancy, I did Google the "I Am His Ring" and found a few. It's a band with the initials and leaves going around the band. Thanks

      Delete
  2. I wonder if the literature wasn't what she expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might not have been, or wasn't right for her intended use. Thanks for the thought Kristin

      Delete