Friday, May 28, 2021

Equally Divided to all My Lawful Heirs

William Mann wrote out his last will and testament on May 1st, 1903. Just over two years later he passed away from heart failure on August 29, 1905 at age 75. Surviving him were his second wife Mary and seven adult children. 

The lots mentioned in his will in Milliken's Subdivision, Beatrice, Nebraska were located between Scott and Linn streets to the North and South, and Sumner and Bluff streets East and West. $500 in 1905 is the equivalent of over $14,500 today. When the estate was settled two years later his children received an additional $175 each, which would compare to nearly $5000 today1. His step-daughter Nancy may have felt things were not exactly "equally divided", but there were no legal objections.  A transcription of the will follows the images.





"William Mann of Beatrice Gage County and State of Nebraska, being of sound mind and memory, do make, Publish, and declare this to be my last Will and testament, here by revoking all former Wills by me at any time heretofore made, and as to my worldly Estate and all the Property, Real Personal, or mixed, of, I shall die seized and Posessed or to which I shall be entitled at the time of my decease, I devise, bequeath and dispose thereof in the manner following, to wit - 

My Will is, that all my just debts and furnal expences shall by paid my Executors herein after named, to be paid out of my possessions whatever it may be Money or otherwise as soon after my Decease as shall by then be found convenient

I give devise and Bequeath to my Beloved Wife Mary Mann all my Household goods my Horse and Buggy and Buggy Harness, and also my City Property as follows, Situated in Millikens Subdivision an addition to the City of Beatrice Gage County and State of Nebraska - containing two (2) Lots 53, and 39, with its improvements to have full use and all profits from said property, as long as she may live or until her Death, after her death - the Property shall be sold and equally divided to all my lawful heirs. I give to my Beloved Wife Mary Mann five hundred Dollars 500.00 in Cash - then in the following manner I give to my Daughter Effie Camp five hundred Dollars in Cash 500.00 I give to my Daughter Ada Johnson five hundred Dollars 500.00 Cash I give to my Son Clarence Mann five hundred Dollars $500.00 in Cash my son William B Mann and Son Horace Mann have received each $500.00 beforehand

I give to my Son Oscar M Mann two hundred and fifty Dollars $250.00 in Cash having had two Hundred and fifty beforehand - I wish to give my Stepdaughter Mrs Jane Camp two hundred Dollars $200.00 in Cash all the and residue of my Estate real personal and mixed of which I shall die seized and possessed or to which I shall be entitled at my decease I give devise and bequeath, to be equally divided between all my lawful Heirs, please understand me in this (Will) I have let my conscience guide me to the best of my understanding and lastly I do nominate and appoint my said Son William B Mann, and my Son in Law W H Camp to be my Executors of this my last Will and Testament, In witness whereof, I the said William Mann have to this my last Will and Testament, consisting of one sheet of paper subscribed my name and affixed my Seal this first day of May One Thousand Nine Hundred and Three,

Signed, Sealed, Published, and declared by the said William Mann

William Mann, as and for his last Will and Testament, in the presence of us, who at his request and in his presence, and in the presence of each other, have subscribed our names as Witnesses thereunto.

William Mann {Seal}

George W Heikes Residing at Beatrice, Gage County, Nebr

Edwin J Maxwell Residing at Beatrice, Gage County, Nebr "

__________

1https://westegg.com/inflation/ Inflation calculator by Morgan Friedman, accessed 5/28/2021.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment