Sunday, March 24, 2019

Ancestors In Newspaper Clippings


This weeks 52 Ancestors prompt "In the paper" is perfectly timed for me. Last week I revealed that I'm also taking part in the A to Z April Blogging Challenge and my theme for this is Newspaper Clippings in my family history research. It will include in an alphabetical format, clippings I've found through the past 25 years searching both microfilm and digitized newspapers. Can you guess how I'll use each letter? Some might surprise you.

Every so often here at The Old Trunk in the Attic, I feature a portion of a local social column from a paper I copied from microfilm while looking for mentions of my ancestors. The goal in doing this is that it potentially could be of help to someone some day. Realistically, I know that it won't happen often. What I post is just a drop in the bucket of news that is not available through online digitized newspapers. Just in case, take a look at them by using the "Newspaper Clippings" Label to the right.


In searchable, digitized newspapers I've found a variety of mentions of my ancestors. So much more than just obituaries and the local gossip columns. For just one example, I've used newspapers to follow the careers of preachers and teachers:


Tracing the Career Path of Rev. G. O. Bell




Ord Quiz, January 14, 1926


Chicago Daily Tribune, August 4, 1911

My series on the grave's I've been to will be suspended until May. For the month of April, I will be posting not four, but 26 ancestor posts. Maybe I can still count one per week for #52Ancestors. I hope you'll check out my Newspaper Clippings from A to Z. 





6 comments:

  1. I'm going for the A to Z challenge too. Good theme: newspaper clippings. I'm going with a vintage photo per day but will supplement those with info from Ancestry and newspaper clippings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to see more genealogy bloggers in that challenge. I like your idea, too. I'll be following.

      Delete
  2. When A-Z and 52 Ancestors collide, great things happen. I look forward to reading your challenge posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your past A to Z challenges were my inspiration. I hope you enjoy mine like I have yours. Thanks Wendy!

      Delete
  3. Lookiing forward to how you bring the alphabet into each post. It might give me a clue what to do for the posts I have not decided on yet. With those pesky letter like Q and Z I always feel I am forcing the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had more trouble with J than Q! But I picked a subject that I can work the same clipping around different letters if I need to. Good luck with your challenge!

      Delete