Sunday, October 20, 2019

Dad and Mother


Really?



How many times do you see something like this:  "Dad and Mother" is all that is written on the photo above. I don't know who's handwriting it is, so I'm not sure who's Dad and Mother they are. The dark trim around the window here looks the same as in the photo of the house in my last post, "A View from the Windmill"This photo also came from a box that was among my Grandma's things after her death. 

My guess is that the stuff in that box originally belonged to her mother-in-law, Lottie Menke. I think the photo above is of young Lena and Will Roscoe, parents of Lottie Menke. But I have some doubt because in this photo he looks shorter than her. You can see in the photo below it's obviously several years later, but he is quite a bit taller. I would guess the photo below was taken in the late 1930's, so above might be early 1920's or earlier? Will and Lena were both born in the late 1850's and died in the late 1940's, so how old does the couple above look? The 2" x 3" picture is printed paper. Could this have been taken in the 1920's? 




Sitting on the porch above is definitely Lena and William Roscoe. In the photo below he is wearing the same suit. Maybe these were taken the same day? A descendant of Laura Kyle, oldest daughter of Will and Lena, sent me the photo below with Laura's daughter Jean, herself, (husband Willis behind Laura?) son Glen, Lena, son Orval and William.



In this picture are Charlotte Menke, my Great Grandmother, Willis Kyle (Laura's husband), Lena, Lena's son David Harlow Roscoe, Reggie Kyle and Laura Kyle. This is the only photo I have of David. 

It's great to have these and I feel pretty confident about who they all are.

How many of your own photos have you marked "Dad and Mother"? 



No comments:

Post a Comment